SpaceMouse Enterprise Parts

If you have questions or comments concerning any non-support related 3Dconnexion topic, please use this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

CokeBottle

SpaceMouse Enterprise Parts

Post by CokeBottle »

I have had my SpaceMouse Enterprise for about 3.5 years now, so it's out of warranty. The other day, the Esc button started acting up and we not giving feedback like it used to and would not register sometimes. I decided to pull it apart to replace the switch when come to find out, it's just a rubber plate that the button has worn off. Can I get this part, is there something that can be done to fix this? Seems kind of cheap for what these things cost.
imageedit_2_4162048732.jpg
imageedit_2_4162048732.jpg (45.21 KiB) Viewed 41646 times
UtaSH

Re: SpaceMouse Enterprise Parts

Post by UtaSH »

Hi Cokebottle,

unfortunately we do not provide any spare parts. Sorry :| .

BTW - you registered your SpaceMouse Enterprise 4,5 years ago. It had the extended warranty of 4 years due to that registration. Which is off now too. :(
ncoconnor

Post by ncoconnor »

Mine seems to have the same issue after about 4.5 years.
The ESC button is my most used button.
When will parts be available?
If not, what is the reasoning behind not offering service parts?
Attachments
2021-10-29 17.48.08-3.jpg
2021-10-29 17.48.08-3.jpg (140.17 KiB) Viewed 38198 times
luping

Post by luping »

ncoconnor wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 3:56 pm Mine seems to have the same issue after about 4.5 years.
The ESC button is my most used button.
When will parts be available?
If not, what is the reasoning behind not offering service parts?
Not economically reasonable to do so for a small hardware company, it's planned obsolescence(prevention of repair) to create recurring revenue to keep a company survive/afloat. Continued driver update support for many professional CAD applications over many versions/editions over the years needs a health inflow of sales income to support the people/employees of a company, you don't expect a small hardware company to pay out monthly salaries and benefits based on a small sales volume of professional hardware products struggling to retain enough developers.
luping

Post by luping »

Typo error, it's 'healthy inflow'.
enzo

Post by enzo »

Hello,

Just came across this post as my SpaceMouse Enterprise has exactly the same issue. Obviously, it's out of warranty...did you find a solution? I don't understand how a company doesn't offer spare parts for £400 GBP kit...do they at least offer a repair service?

Thank you,

E.
luping

Post by luping »

Compared to expensive 3D design/engineering software licensing cost/subscription fee, it's only a small fraction of the total investment of your digital work. Invest on a new one to keep up your productivity.

Disclosure: I'm an end user of SpaceMouse and CadMouse.
enzo

Post by enzo »

Not everyone is self-employed so I am not buying expensive software for profits...... My employer doesn't provide this even though it reflects on overall production. I, like many other designers have to pay for this out of our own pocket. It is expensive and parts should be available. Since it is so expensive, it should be built with a mechanical piece like most good keyboards have. I don't expect parts to be cheap, but certainly more reasonable than buying a new CAD mouse. Even if parts came with reasonable labour cost it would offer an alternative for the users who can't afford a new one.
luping

Post by luping »

enzo wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:13 am Not everyone is self-employed so I am not buying expensive software for profits...... My employer doesn't provide this even though it reflects on overall production. I, like many other designers have to pay for this out of our own pocket. It is expensive and parts should be available. Since it is so expensive, it should be built with a mechanical piece like most good keyboards have. I don't expect parts to be cheap, but certainly more reasonable than buying a new CAD mouse. Even if parts came with reasonable labour cost it would offer an alternative for the users who can't afford a new one.
You can actually pass this productivity tool purchase cost to your customers. You invest on a SpaceMouse in order to gain productivity to serve your customers, so the customers should pay the bill.
enzo

Post by enzo »

Really? Which part of "I am not self-employed" is not clear? I can't pass on the cost to the customers, this decision would be taken by my employer. An employer would then have to reimburse the employee. How many employers can or want to do this?
luping

Post by luping »

enzo wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 5:10 am Really? Which part of "I am not self-employed" is not clear? I can't pass on the cost to the customers, this decision would be taken by my employer. An employer would then have to reimburse the employee. How many employers can or want to do this?
You don't understand the essence of employment. Your employer is the customer of your labour hour, your employer buys your working hours in the form of salary and other labour benefits.