Custom mappings

If you have questions or comments concerning any non-support related 3Dconnexion topic, please use this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

indyjason79

Custom mappings

Post by indyjason79 »

Why do you not offer a GUI to map your 3d space mouse to any button assignment instead of relying on the creators of applications to provide this for you via an SDK? I'm a programmer and this makes no sense. Every single hardware product I've ever purchased that interacts with multiple apps comes with software for the end user to provide custom mappings. Your product is not cheap, so I expect decent software to customize it. Do I need to write this GUI for you?

Here are several examples of what I'm talking about from several manufacturers:

luping

Re: Custom mappings

Post by luping »

It's productivity tool for CAD industry use, not for gaming. Have you ever used any mechanical design software, like the AutoCAD, or SOLIDWORKS, or NX?
zoomer

Post by zoomer »

indyjason79 wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:13 pm Why do you not offer a GUI to map your 3d space mouse to any button assignment instead of relying on the creators of applications to provide this for you via an SDK?
I am not sure if really got the problem,
but I do customize each extra button (*) for my CADMouse, Space Navigator and Enterprise.

That is what the driver Software is for.

(*)
OK it is restricted to extra buttons. 3D Navigator in put or standard 2 Mouse buttons aren't
customizable.
But Commands delivered by Applications are only one special way of customization.
Honestly only two of all my Apps provide those Application specific Command Sets.
Beside there is a choice for a few operating system commands,
creating shortcuts with Modifier keystroke inputs,
creating whole Macros,
creating those Pie Menus that can contain all macros and commands from above.

So I am not really sure what you are missing.
jwick

Post by jwick »

indyjason79,

Those are nice GUI examples.

I assume you are referring to customization for non-3D-mouse-supported apps.

You can do anything you want (especially if you are a programmer). It is true the current GUI doesn't help much.
The underlying software is reasonably flexible. It is a bit difficult to setup without help of a GUI (nor documentation).

You can ask me for help on the specifics.
There are hints posted here and there on the forum. There's no real central topic.
It's mostly XML editing.
Yogi

Post by Yogi »

I do a little CAD (Zbrush Blender) but I would love to use this to do different things in different programs that don't really support customisation. While I greatly appreciate the willingness to offer help users customise to their needs, I don't have any programming knowledge. It seems like it would be extremely useful and flexible as a customisable tool.

Are there no plans to implement something like that?

Thank you
robined

Post by robined »

Is there any documentation for the XML format, especially the key / keyboard mapping under <ActionID>KB_Keystroke</ActionI>? I've just got my wireless mouse, it's not doing what I want it to and I've spent hours looking for a way to get it to do so. Yes, there are hints in the forum here and there, but not much and not this. So far I've put what I have found in https://wiki.edgarbv.com/index.php/Spac ... g_your_XML
Cheers