Functionality suggestions

If you have questions or comments concerning any non-support related 3Dconnexion topic, please use this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

hwnd_3d

Functionality suggestions

Post by hwnd_3d »

Hello,

I am CAD key-user at my company, employing over hundred design engineers working mostly in Catia v5. I am investigating possibilities to optimize our workflow by using 3Dconnexion products to their fullest capabilities. Among 3Dconnexion products, I am relatively fresh user (SpaceMouse Enterprise), but I have a long experience in using various different gaming programmable mice and keyboards, used for CAD workflow optimization. I have a few suggestions or requests regarding implementation of potentially helpful features. I am wondering if this forum is a proper place to make such suggestions. If not, please let me know how should I contact people that might actually be interested in improving their product.

1) I saw few topics about this issue (https://forum.3dconnexion.com/viewtopic ... 25&t=35154, https://forum.3dconnexion.com/viewtopic ... 957#p65957), where it was said back in 2018 that this feature is being worked on, but I think it is still not implemented. I'm talking about Catia environment sensitivity. Does 3Dconnexion have any kind of publicly available backlog (like for example MS Teams), where users can see, post and vote on what features the developers are working on currently? The problem with lack of recognition for Catia working environments is crucial and it almost rules out the use of more advanced 3Dconnexion products because their advantage, aside the 3D manipulator knob, is reduced to having few additional buttons. One might argue that this could be achieved by much lower price (programmable keyboard with additional buttons).

2) OK, I'm guessing this number 1) might not be important for 3Dconnexion for whatever reason, but why not implement at least a feature that might mitigate the issue with unsupported environment sensitivity and potentially help other users. I am talking about the possibility to define, save and then switch between different settings profiles on the fly, with a button. I suspect that this could be implemented rather easily, as the foundations for this functionality exists already in form of Export/Import settings accessible through 'More >' button:

Possible implementation:
Additional button to access sub-menu with profiles list, where user can add, remove, reorder, rename, copy/paste/duplicate and activate custom profiles:
For button assignment - additional category 'Profiles' with options to choose - 'Next profile', 'Previous profile' (based on the order of profiles list mentioned before) or 'profile_name' (to choose specific profile).

Use case:
a) Users could create a different profiles with different buttons assignments. While working in various unsupported environments, e.g., 2D drafting, 3D wire-frame, 2D sketch, etc., they could switch between appropriate profile manually, when needed. For software that supports environmental sensitivity it could be used to group button assignments. For example in SolidWorks Sketch, one profile could have access to various constraining features, while second to geometry creation features.
b) Radial menu with the ability to switch between multiple profiles.
c) It would be possible to assign button 1 of profile 1 to switch to profile 2, then assign button 1 of profile 2 to switch to profile 1. That way, the user could easily go back and forth between these profiles. I can see many other options and big flexibility without overburdening the users - if they did not want to use this functionality, they could just use single default profile and not dive deep into customized ones.

3) For this feature, I am also under impression that it is already implemented in some form. Why not give users ability to assign secondary button function on key-hold (instead of key-press)?

Possible implementation:
Toggle button to switch between on key press / on key hold assignments:

Use case:
a) Users could assign two logically related functions to the same button, for example 'Pad'/'Pocket', 'Radius'/'Chamfer', 'Rectangular Pattern'/'Circular Pattern', 'Copy'/'Paste', etc. It would essentially duplicate the button assignments capability.
b) Similar as above, but assign radial menu on key hold. This way, user can have basic function assigned on key press, and radial menu shown with related, but less commonly used features on key hold. For example - 'Draft analysis' / Various other analysis features.
c) On key hold could be set to repeat the on key press function at set millisecond interval.
d) If not defined, on key hold would call for the same function as on key press, or any other default feature (currently some kind of a cheat-sheet shows up on key-hold).

I have a few other suggestions, as this is basically my job to think about them, but the three features described above are the most crucial in my opinion to improve SpaceMouse's flexibility and functionality, at least for Catia users working at my company, but I think it is safe to assume (looking at various topics on this forum) that also for many others. Hence I would be really grateful If these proposals could be addressed in some shape or form. If someone at 3Dconnexion would be interested, please do not hesitate to contact me.
jwick

Re: Functionality suggestions

Post by jwick »

Those are excellent ideas.

I think all of the manual steps are possible. Unfortunately there is very little GUI assistance to help you, which makes it beyond the capabilities of most users.

If you want, I can work separately with you to enable this for your users. It would be helpful for us to get some experience with real users.
It is practical with the SME. It's too complicated, IMO, to understand what is happening w/o the LCD.

I don't know what happened to the CATIA auto-switch feature. In any case, it would be tied to some release of CATIA.
hwnd_3d

Post by hwnd_3d »

Hi jwick.
Sorry for the late reply, but I have been overburdened with too many things at work before the new year and did not have time to commit to this topic as much as I would like.

I do not know if we can go into details here or if we should talk via some other means of contact (my private messages on the forum seem to be locked)? Either way, I am open for contact and may add that I live in UTC/GMT +1:00 timezone.

From your message, I understood/assumed that it might be possible to introduce some of the functionalities I described in the opening post, but you are concerned that they might be confusing for most users. I understand this concern and this is why I tried to present these additional functions as something that the fresh user would not have to bother with, but advanced user could nevertheless configure them and use for their advantage/convenience. In quick summary - I am talking about 2) the ability to import specific settings file with an assigned button press and 3) being able to assign secondary function on button hold to each of the buttons, not only the ones with small blue icon printed on the hardware.
jwick

Post by jwick »

I think you can't PM until a certain number of posts have been approved.
This helps cull out the 212000 spam posts we get daily from fake users trying to sell shoes or FIFA coins or whatnot.

I'll send you an email, assuming your registered email address is correct.

If anything for general use comes of it, we can post some results here on the forum.
swangoose

Post by swangoose »

Hi! Why not add the other F keys (F1-F8) to the function (FN) shortcuts, and even make a toggle checkbox to invert the function, so you access the shortcuts without FN key, and access the F keys with the FN pressed. I want shortcuts to my media, no matter the app/environment I'm in. Most of us work with music in the background, so it's something that you want control on, while working on something else. This would be an easy implementation and would make a huge difference. Thanks!