Motion Noise Filtering

If you have questions or comments concerning any non-support related 3Dconnexion topic, please use this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

gerhick

Motion Noise Filtering

Post by gerhick »

Hi all,

I'm a CAD Drafter and 3DConnexion SpacePilot User in an office alongside 10 other 3DConnexion Space Pilot users. One of the issues we have more then any other, is the sensitivity of the motion. We use Autodesk Inventor which has a small on screen UI for some commands, This UI dissappears while the user is rotating/orbiting the model on screen. The problem is that the 3DConnexion SpacePilot has no way to filter tiny vibrations. If we bump the control, then the view vibrates slightly causing the UI to flicker on and off. Ideally the drivers for the SpacePilot should be able to ignore any input which does not continue for a sustained period of time. For example, a vibration changes direction several times per second. A deliberate user input will be in a single direction (a combination of X, Y and Z directions), will last for some minimum time (maybe 0.1sec). I would imagine it would be relatively simple to include this filtering in the drivers.

Please advise if there is something we can do to control this already.

Thanks and Regards
jwick

Post by jwick »

You can increase the deadzone on the device to filter out small movements.
lemonnandpepper

Re: Motion Noise Filtering

Post by lemonnandpepper »

Having similar problems with SpaceNavigator wired.
Due to Tourette syndrome I'm experiencing major issues using any kind of input except keyboard, maybe, but such a sensitive device is almost above my abilities. Still, it's the only "comfortable" way of working with complex 3D and CAD projects...
So, while more sweeping movements are something I can cope with, minor tremor skyrockets my stress level while working...
I'm sure some filtering or setting up dead zones, as suggested before, will ease my life a ton. How can I access these settings?
lemonnandpepper

Re: Motion Noise Filtering

Post by lemonnandpepper »

Well, further forum research solved my question, sorry.
It's absolutely possible! :lol:
How many months of struggle could've been saved if only I searched earlier!!! :cry:
Solution comes from this topic - https://forum.3dconnexion.com/viewtopic ... 821#p51711. One line of XML code in settings made my life so easy!!! :cry: :cry: :cry: My value is 50!
It's awful that there's no config UI for such things... :evil: