Second Life support

If you have questions or comments concerning any non-support related 3Dconnexion topic, please use this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

TonyJansen

Second Life support

Post by TonyJansen »

L.S.,
I am pondering buying a SpaceNav PE, however SecondLife is not part of the list of compatible programs. Does this mean i wont be able to use it at all in SecondLife? Or will i be able to program the SpaceNav to use navigation controls in Secondlife like pageup/down, left- rightarrow etc.. ?

Tia,
Tony Jansen
znissan
User
User

Post by znissan »

Hello Tony:

At this time, you would not be able to use it in Second Life as support is not available. Unfortunately, we cannot at this time commit to future support.

Your feedback is appreciated and customer requests I assure you are taken quite seriously here.

Ziva Nissan
3Dconnexion, Inc.
risoldi

Post by risoldi »

If you are on a Mac, there is a small software called ControllerMate ($15 shareware) that you can use to map movements and buttons of the SpaceNavigator to any key/mouse command. I used it to create commands for Google Earth and it worked without a problem. If you can control SecondLife via keyboard, then you can use a SpaceNavigator with it through ControllerMate.

I am not aware at this time of similar solutions on Windows (but I must admit I did not really search for them). There might exist some.
wolffe

Post by wolffe »

I too, am interested in second life support. Second life may well be the roots of a new WWW, so early support in this is a must.

Thanks
Absum

Post by Absum »

wolffe wrote:I too, am interested in second life support. Second life may well be the roots of a new WWW, so early support in this is a must.

Thanks
I don't mean to be rude (just very OT) but I seriously doubt that second life has anything to do with the future of WWW, maybe the future of internet social life but the limitations with having a physical representation of the web is too great.

Anyway... sorry for being OT but I just had to say something.

And there is a opensource Second Life client right? Then SpaceNav support wouldn't be too hard to implement by some skilled programmer, It's basically a joystick with relative axis instead of absolute.
Zimmo

Second Life, 3dc workd...(after a fashion)

Post by Zimmo »

re Second Life
I just got one, after reading Torley Linden's blog posting, but it is not yet entirely satisfactory, so I e-mailed support to see if it will fix.
I found it over-sensitive for navigating the tighter space of rooms & sims, but loved it for Google Earth (who says "it is a small world"?)
The other pain is I couldn't get any combination of settings to reverse the controls, so I personally found it counter-intuitive, unless I think of it as kind of having a knob stuck to the sim itself, and remind myself it is the sim that is moving, while my view point stays put. My fix? rotate the whole thing 90 degrees, so at least the horizontal pan controls are reversed.

Torley goes on to give settings that will make the 3DC work in SL, but, whenever I fiddle with the settings it goes into a stomach churning spin.
[u][size=150][color=red]http://wiki.sec ... /size][/u](God Bless you Torley!!!)
also see main article
[u]http://blog.secondlife.com/2007/07/2 ... e-1107[/u]

I agree with other postings, with a user base of (allegedly) 8,000,000 there must be an expanding market for devices like this in SL. (So come ON Logitech, give us the simple driver to fix us up in Second Life, you'd probably find that the user base will inform their peers and you'll make a killing!) :P
And, yes, SL has already replaced my Television, and I barely use the internet any more, prefering to use SL as my interface. I am sure the rest of the world will catch on in time.

If anyone finds new drivers, or better settings for the 3DC, please please please let me know.[/b] :?:
Zimmo Hallard
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi Zimmo,

Second Life uses DirectInput and bypasses the interfaces that our current driver controls. That's why if you try to adjust 3D mouse setting in the 3DxWare Control Panel, nothing will happen.

Unfortunately, we cannot comment on future, unannounced plans to change our software.
Nuno Gomes
cbernard

Second Life user + Blender user (also on a Mac)

Post by cbernard »

I have a beautiful but useless SpaceNavigator sitting on my desk right now. Google Earth is cute, but I would really appreciate support for Second Life (and Blender) as well, and on OSX.

As a matter of fact, if it worked with those two apps, me and my strained mouse fingers will be more than happy to upgrade to a SpacePilot (my 1st choice but was wary of support)

I understand logistics of a company the size of Logitech, however, with an app that averages 30,000-40,000 logged-in users at any given time, loded with users that love to spend money...if i was a Product Manager there, I'd be jumping on this asap.

Best Regards,

Court
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi cbernard,

For Blender support, please refer to this topic. Mac OS X is a supported op. system.
Mechthild

Second Life + Mac + Space Navigator?

Post by Mechthild »

I saw a demo at the SLCC conference this summer & was told by a 3DConnex. presenter that it DOES work in SL.

I subsequently bought one for our machinima class + cannot get it to work.
Any tip or fix would be appreciated A LOT.

Mechthild/Tilla
Mechthild Schmidt/SL Tilla Kronos
RichardT

SL already HAS support for SpaceNavigator

Post by RichardT »

The posts in the beginning of the thread are dated.
Second Life already has support for the SpaceNavigator,
(and probably other 3DConnextion devices?)

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Flycam

explains that you only need to install the latest 3DxWare and enable Joystick-FlyCam (and select "3D Curser", and fiddle with some settings) in SL.
It seems simple, but then again, I haven't tried.
Susi Spicoli

can't get mine to work

Post by Susi Spicoli »

I followed all the instructions on the SL wiki, (the 3D is working fine with Google Earth, so it can't be the device), enabling flycam, but I don't get any reaction from using the 3DC. what could be wrong? do I need to push any other button, enable anything else?
flomotan

Post by flomotan »

Enabling Flycam mode and assigning the axes correctly are the main things to check. Also be sure you check the "3D cursor" checkbox.

Try adjusting the scaling on the Flycam axis settings dialog to a higher value and see if that helps
Susi Spicoli

Post by Susi Spicoli »

flomotan wrote:Enabling Flycam mode and assigning the axes correctly are the main things to check. Also be sure you check the "3D cursor" checkbox.

Try adjusting the scaling on the Flycam axis settings dialog to a higher value and see if that helps

----
no, i learned the flycam with 3Dconnexion doesn't work without a patch on the Mac. someone gave me a version with the patch and it works, but for the windlight and future version I don't know how to put that patch in. Anyone can help with that, I'd appreciate it.
davecotter

??

Post by davecotter »

yeah for the life of me i can't figure out how to make it go with my mac. so then i learn i have to get a "patched" version??

Where do i get that!??