3d Studio Max navigation only in windows with mouse focus?

If you have questions or comments concerning any non-support related 3Dconnexion topic, please use this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Lovebot3000

3d Studio Max navigation only in windows with mouse focus?

Post by Lovebot3000 »

First up, great product. Next up: is there a way to have the 3d mouse only navigate in active windows?
I am wanting to pan and zoom in the UV editor or Schematic View in 3d Studio Max, but it looks like the 3d mouse inputs are bound to viewports only.
Would it be possible to switch input targets based on what window has focus() (or whatever the visual basic function was. My coding knowledge is pretty spotty).
So you would switch to 2d x/y mouse input when focus is on anything but the viewport? Or the navigation features apply to the window I last clicked or interacted with?

I would imagine the easiest way to hack this together would be to treat any input from the 3d mouse as
press and hold middle mouse button
X/y mouse input based on cap input
When input stops, release middle mouse

Granted I have exactly zero idea how the mouse talks to max, other than it is witchcraft wrapped in magic, and I'm just an artist with a super basic knowledge of coding, but this mouse is awesome and I would like to further integrate it into my workflow.
jimirara

Re: 3d Studio Max navigation only in windows with mouse focu

Post by jimirara »

Yeah as a 3ds Max user I agree, you cannot use your 3d-mouse in Schematic nor UVWraps in 3dsMax 2015, and it would be nice if it would be possible to use if you feel like it.

My major problem in 3ds Max is that my 3dconnexion Spacepilot Pro seems to crash every now and then, that somehow my normal mouse starts to move items thousand times more than I intended to, so moving items with my normal mouse is nearly impossible. And only restarting 3ds Max fixes the problem. 2-3 times a week this happens.
Lovebot3000

Re: 3d Studio Max navigation only in windows with mouse focu

Post by Lovebot3000 »

I noticed that exaggerated mouse movement bug in max as well. It happened before I got a 3d mouse though. I am not sure if it's something to do with the plugins or scripts my studio has going in max, or just another weird max thing that happens from time to time. I can never reproduce it reliably either. It is a mystery. (Running max 2010, fyi)