How much stress can the SpaceNavigator take?

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

Elfen

How much stress can the SpaceNavigator take?

Post by Elfen »

Just a quickie:

The SpaceNavigator can handle being forced into the outer position, almost every time it's used (to the point where the knob can not be moved further in that particular direction, or, for the pulling, to the point where the device is lifter off the table), right?

Because I constantly find myself stressing it to this outer point to move quickly around, but I can't just yank up sensitivity, because then I have problems with fine adjustments.

I just fear that the cap will pop off some day, or that I might end up with the springs or whatever is inside, getting slobby, so it won't return to "neutral" properly each time.

So I just wanna be sure that it can stand at least a few years being stressed like that daily...
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi Elfen,

The 3D sensors used in our hardware are optical devices. The only movable parts are springs that are cannot be stretched out of their elastic range.

Still, as with any mechanical device, 3D mice have their limitations. Without knowing precisely the level stress that your applying on the sensor, it is not possible for us to give you an assurance.

Spring breakages are covered by your 3D mice hardware warranty but not cap damage if unreasonable force or stress is applied (you cannot get a 3D mouse replaced if you hit it with a brick).

Have a look at this post. It explains how to use the "non-linear" factor. This should allow you to have higher speeds at the high end of the device range whilst keeping the fine control on the low end. You need to restart the driver (3DxWare) whenever you change the Registry.
Nuno Gomes
Elfen

Post by Elfen »

Ah, super :)

I of course don't try to push it further than to the point where I can feel that the cap meets the "wall". But I guess I should be safe then :)