Problem with SpaceNavigator in Poser 7.0.2: unresponsive UI

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

mgummelt

Problem with SpaceNavigator in Poser 7.0.2: unresponsive UI

Post by mgummelt »

I recently upgraded from Poser 6 to Poser 7. One of the main reasons I upgraded was to use the Space Navigator with it. I bought both the same day, made sure my direct x and nvidia drivers were the latest available, installed Poser and the SR 2.1 and installed the Space Navigator, downloading the latest drivers online.

Windows XP
Pentium 4 dual processor 3.4 GHz
2GB RAM
Direct X 9.0c or later
NVidia GeForce 6800 driver version 6.14.11.6921

The problem I'm having is this - now that I'm using the Space Navigator, the UI becomes nonresponsive for several seconds. I know I'm not the only one having this problem or am I the first to report it (see this thread: http://www.contentparadise.com/forums/s ... php?t=5998

I had Poser 7 with SR 2.1, latest direct x and latest nvidia drivers for several days before I got my Space Navigator and installed it. Poser 7 worked just fine (this bug wasn't happening) until I installed the Space Navigator.

So, any solution for this?

Thanks! And great product, btw!
Michael Chang Gummelt
Raven Software
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi mgummelt,

Support for 3D mice is native to Poser. In other words, it is the application itself that implements that support and not a 3connexion plug-in or a similar software solution. From that it follows that only Smith Micro can solve the problem.

Thanks for being this to our attention, we will forward this report to Smith Micro and will try to address this issue with them.

In mean time, we advise you to also report the problem to Smith Micro. As more customers report the same problem, it gets a higher priority.
Nuno Gomes
jwick

Post by jwick »

This delay could be caused by the device not returning to zero immediately. If the device is still sending out small data values, Poser may think you are still moving the scene. Try opening the 3DxWare menu and select the Calibrate button. If this seems to solve the problem but it still occasionally happens, we can show you how to increase the null region of the device so it returns to silent mode more quickly.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi mgummelt,

We had another look at this using Poser 7 and we cannot reproduce what you're experiencing. On our test systems, all is well.

If we had observed a "several seconds" of unresponsiveness, Poser would not have the " 3Dconnexion Certification" status (refer to the application list).
jwick

Post by jwick »

Reading through the CP support forum thread, to me this looks like the device is still generating data, thus preventing poser from switching modes. As someone on that forum said, "it is very sensitive".

Try creating the following registry entry:

HKCU/software/3dconnexion/3dxware/DeadBand

It is a REG_SZ. Set its value to 25. Higher values increase the deadband, lower values decrease it. The default is 0.

Let us know if this helps.
TheFrost

Post by TheFrost »

Ah, I noticed too a slowdown when selecting. I will have a close look if it is not me keeping pressure on the navigator (even slightly will block the UI).

The navigator is really wonderful for moving the camera, but I find it is almost unuseable for pose manipulation. For one, I want the roll to be disabled in camera mode, but not for manipulation. Secondly, transposing body parts which should not be transposed happens frequently which.

I realise the navigator is native to Poser, not so much 3dconnexion can do about it.
disobvious

Post by disobvious »

try going from openGL to SreeD