SpaceNavigator Mac OS X beta is here!

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

ruigato

Post by ruigato »

Great!

i'm waiting for my SpaceNavigator this week, and now the beta testing begins!

i was just wandering, i've found this midi driver for the SN,

http://web.mac.com/keindesign/iWeb/Site ... gator.html

are you guys thinking on implementing MIDI on the preferences pane? maybe as a plug in or application? the possibility for electronic musicians is huge..

thank you,
rui gato
znissan
User
User

Post by znissan »

Thanks for sharing this. We are always thrilled to see when customers develop their own tools for our devices, and we encourage this type of development.

At the moment, we are working towards our first release of the driver and any additional enhancements beyond the requirements of this release will have to be considered after that time. I look forward to having a look at this third-party plug-in -- for my own interest as well!

Ziva Nissan
3Dconnexion, Inc.
torklugnutz

Saw ya at CES

Post by torklugnutz »

The demo at CES looked great, with Google Earth on a PC. I hadn't even heard of this gadget yet and I was trying to find more info on the Nulooq when I stumbled onto your kiosk at the Logitech booth. The product looks great and the price kicks ass. Primarilly, I work with 2-d things on OSX; Photoshop, Aperture, FinalCut and so forth. Will this device be able to do any of the stuff that I was looking to accomplish with the Nulooq? I think the Space Navigator is a better looking, better priced and more dynamic tool. I'd rather buy it than the other one, but only if I'll be able to use it for anything.
znissan
User
User

Post by znissan »

Hello:

Appreciate the good feedback on the 3Dconnexion SpaceNavigator.

The NuLOOQ device is manufactured and sold through Logitech and therefore all questions and sales inquiries regarding that product must be supported through their group. We can only answer questions regarding 3Dconnexion products.

I would suggest having a visit to both product sites to look at the features you are most interested in for the applications you use. If we can answer additional questions regarding the SpaceNavigator's capabilities, please post again.

Ziva Nissan
3Dconnexion, Inc.
jackl

Ditto on the Google Earth drivers

Post by jackl »

Me too. Installed the device today and it works with Sketchup but not with Google Earth. (I thought those were macs GE was running on at Macworld last week where I was playing with the SpaceNavigator and GE, so maybe that was alpha drivers or maybe they were Windows boxen they were running on ;-)

Anyway, very much awaiting the Google Earth driver or plug in that's needed for the SpaceNavigator to work with mac OS X.

J
Akila Ninomiya@QTVR Diary

Supporting GoogleEarth & QicktimeVR

Post by Akila Ninomiya@QTVR Diary »

It is very glad to be able to use SpaceNavigator with Mac.
Because I am a panorama creator, and the QuicktimeVR authoring is my job.

It knew that the operation of "Google Earth Panorama Viewer" was good only at SpaceNavigator, and I bought it yesterday. However, I regret not to have supported GoogleEarth yet very much.
http://digitalurban.blogspot.com/2007/0 ... orial.html

Moreover, I am gladder when suporting to QuicktimeVR by the development in the future.
Best regerd,
Last edited by Akila Ninomiya@QTVR Diary on Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
EMoeller

Post by EMoeller »

I was able to test out the Beta for Google Earth at Googles booth at MacWorld. It was quite stable and worked great. I understand the release date for the final will be by the end of March (if not before).

I, as many other Mac fans have, just ordered and received my SpaceNavigator (SN) and cannot wait until the new drivers for GE are available. In the meantime I am jsut starting to use it in Sketchup 6.

If anyone has any problems with SN. ALWAYS check and update your latest Google software first (Sketchup 6 and GE 4).

Thanks for supporting the Mac...

Eric
ruigato

Post by ruigato »

Hello,

just tried out the SN with Google Sketchup, works very well! i did had to reverse all my axis to get it right, but i assume that this will be worked out in the final release.

is it possible to get the spin axis to spin relative to the camera, not relative to the master vertical axis? it would make navigation easer in interior spaces.

cheers,
Rui Gato
seacrets

Google Sketchup 6 Feedback

Post by seacrets »

Google Sketchup 6 Feedback

Hi, this might be an issue of the beta version of Google Sketchup 6. Here you are the problem:

When I manually choose the center of rotation, while I am moving around that object sometimes it drops the manually choosen center of rotation and the new center of rotation becomes the origin.

Anyone experiencing this?

Thanks,

Francisco
flomotan

Post by flomotan »

Only way I can reproduce this is to switch from object mode to camera mode and then back to object mode. In that situation, the center of rotation goes back to the origin as intended. Otherwise, it stays on the selected point all the time. Do you have specific steps to reproduce this issue that you can email to me?

I'm also running the released version of Sketchup 6
flomotan

Post by flomotan »

On ruigato's question regarding the spin axis... Try selecting Plugins->3DxSketchUp->Auto Center of Rotation and see if that feels better
itutorius

How about parallels

Post by itutorius »

Hi All

Goin out to purchase one of these very soon. Ideally i'd like to use it on the following set up:

System: Intel Core Duo processor 2.16, G Gbyte Ram, 10.4.8 OSX Parallels Desktop, Windows XP (parallels)

Software, we know sketch up works and maya so thats two packages sorted (mac side). But on parallels, how about: Pro-Engineer, ANSYS, Solid Works CES, and Moldflow! These might be very spealised packages I know, but I Have to ask.
Thanks
itutorius
rwc101010

Any update on compatibility with Google Earth

Post by rwc101010 »

So I got my SpaceNavigator today after seeing it demo'ed at MacWorld last month and boy was I in for a couple of surprises:

My first surprise was the lack of a Mac OSX logo on the box and text that indicated only XP support.

Second Surprise, no drivers for Mac in the box (though expected based on the outside of the box)

Third surprise, you can download the drivers from the website . . . but they're BETA drivers that haven't been updated in nearly a month.

Forth surprise . . . no Google Earth Support!?!

I attended several demos of GE and the SpaceNavigator on Macintosh hardware while at Macworld . . . nowhere was it mentioned that such support was unavailable to the general public.

I'm pretty unhappy to find out that the device does not function as it was demonstrated, and that such support is coming "in the next few months".

I'm really eager to get proper support for the device, but I need to make a decision on whether or not I return it based on the nebulous claims of support sometime in the future.

Any idea when this device will be supported as it was demonstrated at Macworld?
seacrets

Post by seacrets »

I'm pretty unhappy to find out that the device does not function as it was demonstrated, and that such support is coming "in the next few months".
Take it easy mate. iPhone has been demonstrated and it is not available. I prefer a few months than never. There are a lot of companies that they don't even care of us. Imagine we don't even have that beta till the official software is available. You should consider it a gift, at least I do.
rwc101010

Post by rwc101010 »

seacrets wrote:Take it easy mate. iPhone has been demonstrated and it is not available. I prefer a few months than never. There are a lot of companies that they don't even care of us. Imagine we don't even have that beta till the official software is available. You should consider it a gift, at least I do.
Last I checked, the iPhone wasn't for sale, and there was a clear timetable for it's intended availability.

On the other hand, the demo at the Google and Logitech booths indicated that the product was available and provided specific functionality . . . nowhere was it disclosed that the product wouldn't work on the Mac platform, as demonstrated, for "several months". It took a lot of searching to uncover that fact in this forum.

This last part is where I take issue with this whole deal.

My concern, due to the lack of updates by the company here and on other forums, is that the OSX drivers are not undergoing active development and the device that I have purchased for a specific purpose will never actually be capable of performing that role.

The company needs to put some heavy duty disclaimers on their website qualifying their OSX support (or lack of it).