Space Mouse Plus Stops Working - Catia R18

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

Rock

Space Mouse Plus Stops Working - Catia R18

Post by Rock »

Workstation is running XP 64 bit OS. Currently using Space Mouse Plus USB, (previously using Space Mouse Plus Serial and had the same issue)

I have tried a couple different drivers. From 2-4-7 to 3-3-6. Right now I am at v2-8-2

The mouse starts working fine. Then out of nowhere it just stops working. No error messages or anything. I then try to stop and start the driver, but still nothing. I end up having to reboot to get it to come back on. Happens a few times a day.

Help!
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi Rock,

The latest build of our Windows software for the SpaceMouse Plus USB is version 3.6.6. You can get it from here.

When it stops working, are you unable to use your 3D mouse with any other application (say, the 3DxWare demos)? Next time you see it stopping, go to Start -> Programs -> 3Dconnexion -> 3Dconnexion 3DxWare -> Demos and try some of the programs in there. Let us know what happens.
Nuno Gomes
Rock

Post by Rock »

You are correct. I can not use the mouse in any application. I have tried the demos, and those do not work either.

I will try the latest driver.

Thanks.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

If no application works, we can rule out an issue with CATIA. That leaves a problem with the driver software or your system.

I would suggest that your anti-virus software is affecting your device but we only have reports of that problem with USB devices, not serial. For your reference, see this topic.
Rock

Post by Rock »

Thanks for the link.
The other thing that throws a wrench into my troubleshooting is that I have another identical machine, using the same type of mouse, and it has no issues. Same antivirus (AVG), same versions of Catia.

How can I check which driver version is installed. I open the mouse control panel, click on "help" then "about 3dxware". That shows me the "firmware version", and "3dxware version". Is one of those the actual version of the driver its running? I want to make sure I am looking at the right thing to compare the mouse driver versions on the 2 machines.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

"3DxWare" is the driver software and it's version 6.6 in the latest release. That's the version you need to look at.

3DxSoftware is the installation package that includes driver and add-in software.

Since you have two identical systems, one thing to try is swapping the two 3D mice. This will allow you to check in what way the problem "follows" the hardware.
Rock

Post by Rock »

I am going to try updating to the latest driver. Althought I don't think that will correct my issue since my other system is running an older driver.

Before updating the driver, should I uninstall my current 3d connexion software, or just install the latest over it?
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi Rock
Before updating the driver, should I uninstall my current 3d connexion software, or just install the latest over it?
You can just upgrade (install over) over the old one.

Before you do that, I suggest you first try to swapping the two 3D mice to check if the hangs follow the peripheral or stay with the machine.