SpaceNavigator as standard USB joystick when not in 3D apps

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

jtuttle

SpaceNavigator as standard USB joystick when not in 3D apps

Post by jtuttle »

Hey--
I know that there are already threads for this...

Anyway, I just got a SpaceNavigator. I absolutely *love* it; it works beautifully in Google Earth and Blender. However, I can't help but think of all sorts of other neat stuff to do with it -- controlling MIDI devices, playing games, etc -- that would be easier if it just showed up as a joystick.

I certainly understand 3Dconnexion's argument that designing software *specifically* to support 3D mice gives a better user experience, but there are tons of other programs -- games, for example -- that it would be fun to use in.

I used to have a SpaceOrb 360, and while most games I played weren't designed for it (except for perhaps Descent II, which worked *beautifully*), it was still a really fun input device.

I don't necessarily even need profiles/settings for each app for the joystick support -- just having an extra joystick on my system with 6 axes and 2 buttons would be great, even if it automatically disables itself when a supported app is running.

So, 3Dconnexion, consider this another request for some form of generic driver.

-- J.P.
jtuttle

Post by jtuttle »

(Couldn't seem to find an edit function...)

Okay... turns out if I turn off the driver, DirectX can detect it as a joystick... but it still doesn't show up in Game Controllers.

Come on guys... it *almost* works as a joystick!

-- J.P.
ash

Post by ash »

that's because it IS a joystick, they changed a couple of bits, literally bits, in the driver. This makes it special to them somehow, and locks users out of doing anything useful with it. total scam really. dishonest. they did it to try to force people to do things their way, and not open to the community or software developers. they expect other companies to write special code to fix what they broke, I find it ridiculous.

look for RBC9's driver, it will explain everything, AND give you back the functionality they STOLE !