Finding out the current driver AND used device

Post questions, comments and feedback to our 3Dconnexion Windows Development Team.

Moderator: Moderators

a.kostov

Finding out the current driver AND used device

Post by a.kostov »

Greetings,

How can I check the currently used driver in the C++ SDK? As well as the device?

Another question: For Example I have the 10.8.11 driver, but SpaceNavigator was last supported on 10.8.3
=> The ACTUAL used driver is 10.8.3, am I correct?

If so how can I get the actual used driver?

Thanks in advance,

Alexander Kostov, Chaos Vantage Developer
ngomes

Re: Finding out the current driver AND used device

Post by ngomes »

a.kostov wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 9:03 am Another question: For Example I have the 10.8.11 driver, but SpaceNavigator was last supported on 10.8.3
Not sure I follow. The SpaceNavigator is still very much supported in the latest driver. You can check the support status of discontinued device types here. Please let us know from where did you take that information from so that we can correct it at the source.

To answer your other question, the API does not offer a method to check if a device type is supported or otherwise. The expectation is to have applications supporting SpaceMouse devices generically.
Nuno Gomes
a.kostov

Post by a.kostov »

Yep, that's my mistake, I thought the latest driver in the driver archive is the last supported.

The reason I'm asking for this is because some of our users started complaining that when they update to the latest driver, the navigation in Chaos Vantage becomes really slow, even with the speed sliders maxed out.

Seems like most of the users have updated to windows 11, but not all of them. Some had problems with 10.8.11 on Win 10. I tested yesterday with SpaceNavigator and everything seems fine.

Will update you in this thread if I dig something out.

Cheers!
AmosJohnston12

Post by AmosJohnston12 »

a.kostov wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 9:03 am Greetings,

How can I check the currently used driver in the C++ SDK? As well as the device?

Another question: For Example I have the 10.8.11 driver, but SpaceNavigator was last supported on 10.8.3

If so how can I get the actual used driver?

Thanks in advance,

Alexander Kostov, Chaos Vantage Developer
Hello Alexander Kostov,

To check the currently used driver and device in the C++ SDK, you can use the following methods provided by the SDK:

To check the currently used driver version, you can use the GetDriverVersion() method of the SpwJNI class. This method returns a string that represents the version number of the driver that is currently in use.

To check the currently used device, you can use the GetDeviceProductName() method of the SpwDevice class. This method returns a string that represents the name of the currently used device.

Regarding your second question, if the SpaceNavigator was last supported on driver version 10.8.3, it is likely that the actual used driver version is 10.8.3, as later driver versions may not be fully compatible with the device.

To get the actual used driver version, you can use the GetDriverVersion() method as mentioned earlier. If the returned version number is different from the version you have installed, it is possible that the SDK is using a different version of the driver that is compatible with the SpaceNavigator device.