SpaceMouse Wireless - SolidWorks 2022 - Won't Reverse Rotation Direction

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

Bohnster

SpaceMouse Wireless - SolidWorks 2022 - Won't Reverse Rotation Direction

Post by Bohnster »

I just purchased a new 3DConnecxion SpaceMouse Wireless. I installed the current drivers 10.8.12. Upon using SolidWorks 2022, the SpaceMouse worked perfectly. However, I wanted to change the "Zoom Direction" from "Forward/Backward" to "Up/Down". The changes in settings work without issues, however the Z or "Rz" twist/roll is backwards.

When I click the "Reverse Checkbox", rotation never changes. It continues in the same direction. I've located the SolidWorks.XML file in Windows Explorer (C:\Users\*****\AppData\Roaming\3Dconnexion\3DxWare\Cfg\SolidWorks.xml) and have edited and verified the saved changes. Making the edits within this file still does not affect reversing rotation direction.

<Axis>
<Enabled>true</Enabled>
<Input>
<ActionID>HIDMultiAxis_Rz</ActionID>
<Min>-512</Min>
<Max>511</Max>
</Input>
<Output>
<ActionID>HIDMultiAxis_Ry</ActionID>
<Reversed>false</Reversed>
</Output>
</Axis>

5 out of 6 directions of freedom (DoF) are working perfectly, but having this "Z or Rz" rotation backwards makes the intuitive nature of the settings not work.

Does anyone know any hacks, tricks or anything to be able to change the rotation direction of this?

Here is a video to visualize and confirm that I've got the correct driver installed and showing that changes within the advanced setting are instant. Completely disabling the axis of rotation does indeed work. However, cycling the reverse checkbox never produces a change in direction.

https://youtu.be/oM_zMCDfNuo

*** Multitude of Things I've Tried ***
- Editing the SolidWorks.XML file directly
- Using the native Advanced Settings to Reverse direction
- Installing older software versions including 10.8.8
- Stopping and Starting 3Dconnecxion/3DxWare service
- Rebooting after any changes
- Crawled all over the Internet for 8 hours looking for a solution.
jwick

Re: SpaceMouse Wireless - SolidWorks 2022 - Won't Reverse Rotation Direction

Post by jwick »

Can you reverse the direction of other apps? E.g. any of our demos (jet, cube, viewer).
If not, open your Device Manager. Look under Human Interface Devices for "SpaceMouse Wireless".
If it is not there, let me know and I will tell you how to fix it.

I saw another post of yours. This is Windows on ARM? That is not a supported configuration.
Bohnster

Post by Bohnster »

@jwick, thanks for your reply. I see that you've been trying to help a lot of people over the years. I'm sure this stuff gets kind of old.

I can't seem to reverse the direction in other apps. I can change "Forward/Backward" to "Up/Down" and disable all various axes in SolidWorks and your demo.

I was able to complete the 19 piece demo option in about two minutes. I ended up simply disabling the Z rotation, so it does work a bit.

I am familiar with Windows and Device Manager. In Device Manager, I see “Human Interface Devices" you don’t mean “Mice and other pointing devices”, correct?

“SpaceMouse Wireless” isn’t listed anywhere. When the Universal Receiver was removed then re-inserted, many devices show up under “Human Interface Devices”. Here’s what shows up: (1) HID-compliant device, (6) HID-compliant vendor-defined device & (5) USB Input Device. None of these say “SpaceMouse Wireless”.

You mentioned you could help me fix this, what should I do?
Bohnster

Post by Bohnster »

jwick, thanks for your reply. I see that you've been trying to help a lot of people over the years. I'm sure this stuff gets kind of old.

I can't seem to reverse the direction in other apps. I can change "Forward/Backward" to "Up/Down" and disable all various axes in SolidWorks and your demo.

I was able to complete the 19 piece demo option in about two minutes. I ended up simply disabling the Z rotation, so it does work a bit.

I am familiar with Windows and Device Manager. In Device Manager, I see “Human Interface Devices" you don’t mean “Mice and other pointing devices”, correct?

“SpaceMouse Wireless” isn’t listed anywhere. When the Universal Receiver was removed then re-inserted, many devices show up under “Human Interface Devices”. Here’s what shows up: (1) HID-compliant device, (6) HID-compliant vendor-defined device & (5) USB Input Device. None of these say “SpaceMouse Wireless”.

You mentioned you could help me fix this, what should I do?
jwick

Post by jwick »

What is the system hardware and software configuration?
Bohnster

Post by Bohnster »

Please show me or link me to a sample hardware and software configuration list so I can provide you exactly what you need.
jwick

Post by jwick »

I wasn't thinking anything more complicated than:
Computer: Mac M2 Mini
O/S: macOS 13.3
VM: Parallels
Guest O/S: Windows on ARM

Or
ThinkPad T41
O/S: Windows 7
VM: None
Bohnster

Post by Bohnster »

System configuration:

Computer: MacBook Air (M1, 2020)
O/S: macOS Monterey 12.6.4
VM: Parallels Desktop 18
Guest O/S: Windows 11 Pro ARM (22H2)
Victor21

Post by Victor21 »

Hello!! I have the exact same problem with Catia. I also use parallels, the reverse rotation is failing for any app. In the Device Manager there is no "SpaceMouse Wireless". I can reverse the axis in the Mac version of the drivers to use the space mouse properly with Shapr3D or PrusaSlicer, for engineers is much easier to control the object as if you have it in your hand than controlling the screen position. But when I tried to run Catia through Parallels, the device was not connected automatically like any other plugged device. I had to install in parallels again the Windows version to make it work in Catia, but it was not possible to revert the Rotation or Zoom. Is there no solution yet? Is there no way to make the Mac drivers work also through Parallels to solve the problem and have the experience more fluent? I bought it for a job interview, always wanted one, don't want to send it back :(

Computer: MacBook Pro (M1, 2020)
O/S: macOS Ventura 13.2.1
VM: Parallels Desktop 18
Guest O/S: Windows 11 Home on ARM
Victor21

Post by Victor21 »

Hello!! I have the exact same Problem, no solution yet?
Bohnster

Post by Bohnster »

It's been a few days since I supplied the requested system info. Do you have any tips or tricks to install or update drivers to get this to work properly?
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Victor21 wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 6:02 am Guest O/S: Windows 11 Home on ARM
That's the issue: our drivers do not work on Windows on Arm (unsupported platform). For example, you will probably also notice the device "speed" cannot be increased.
Nuno Gomes