C4D, MacOS 13.3, SpaceMouse Enterprise

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

ngomes

Re: C4D, MacOS 13.3, SpaceMouse Enterprise

Post by ngomes »

bollella@icloud.com wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 7:07 am Do you mean putting a 'Target' tag on an object then putting another object in the tag?
Right. Apply the Target Expression tag to the active camera and assign it a object. This should cause the camera to follow the target object. The plugin is switching the navigation mode at that point and this may be an erroneous behaviour. Remember to switch the view to that camera and use the SpaceMouse: check if the axes are now reversed.

Also, you do not have to delete the user.config file and restart the application. Using a text editor, change the "NavigationMode" "MotionModel" value to "Examine". The change should be picked up by the application almost immediately after saving the file.

Edit (Apr 20, 2023): corrected name of the Navigation Library setting "MotionModel".
bollella@icloud.com

Post by bollella@icloud.com »

I checked the sense of the axes first, they wee ok. ThenI added a target tag to the active camera and set an object in it. The axes were reversed. So, yes, we have identified how to recreate the bug.

After I did the above I looked at the user.config file and noticed two things worth mentioning.

1. There is no "NavigationMode' setting but there is a "MotionModel" setting.
2. The value of the "MotionModel" setting after the above test was 'Examine'

After shutting down c4d I looked at the user.confg and the "MotionModel" setting was set to 'FreeCamera'. I changed it to 'Examine' and restarted c4d. Axes are proper now.

Greg
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

bollella@icloud.com wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 11:32 am 1. There is no "NavigationMode' setting but there is a "MotionModel" setting.
Right. I gave you the wrong name. Sorry about that. Edited my post above to avoid confusion.
2. The value of the "MotionModel" setting after the above test was 'Examine'
The values are only written down to physical storage when the application exits (cleanly). You can change the value from "Examine" to something else and back again to "Examine" to reset the navigation mode without having to restart the application.
bollella@icloud.com

Renaming twice did get the proper sense back.

Looking forward to a fix for this issue!

Thanks,
Greg
crobl

Post by crobl »

Hi Greg,

while were addressing the issue I want to give you sort of a helping script / to ease your pain even more, so you'll no longer need to quit Cinema 4D, remove or change the .config file and relaunch Cinema4D:

Open the Terminal.app and enter this line:

Code: Select all

defaults write `ls -t /Users/chris/Library/Preferences/3Dconnexion/Applications/net.maxon.cinema4d_Cinema4d/*.settings.plist | head -n 1` MotionModel -string Examine
And hit <enter>.

What this one-liner script does:
- take the latest *.settings.plist (there should be just one, but it may happen that there are left overs from previous runs ...) written by Maxon Cinema 4D
- replace the value of "MotionModel" (which will be 'FreeCamera', when the navigation changed to the incorrect behaviour) by 'Examine'

Note: This will only succeed, if the (target) camera object is no longer active. If it still is the value you've just changed, will immediately overwritten/changed back to the undesired "FreeCamera" as soon as you entered Cinema 4D again. So make sure you've disabled this target tag beforehand.

Everytime this should happen to you again, you can now just re-run the command by <cursor><up> and hit <enter> again in the Terminal.

Hope this helps - for the time being.

Regards,

Christian
bollella@icloud.com

Any progress on this issue? I have to run the script very often.
Thanks,
Greg
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

bollella@icloud.com wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 6:45 am Any progress on this issue? I have to run the script very often.
It is resolved in v. 10.8.1 of 3DxWare 10 for macOS, currently under test.

The software is expected to be made available in the next two weeks, barring any unforeseen problems.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Version 10.8.1 of 3DxWare 10 for macOS was published today, June 20, 2023.

The software is available for download here.
popevideo

Post by popevideo »

How do I update my firmware to 4.42? I'm on Mac OS13.4.1
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-06-26 at 1.26.21 AM.png
Screenshot 2023-06-26 at 1.26.21 AM.png (147.21 KiB) Viewed 23750 times
bollella@icloud.com

crobl wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 8:21 am Hi Greg,

Open the Terminal.app and enter this line:

Code: Select all

defaults write `ls -t /Users/chris/Library/Preferences/3Dconnexion/Applications/net.maxon.cinema4d_Cinema4d/*.settings.plist | head -n 1` MotionModel -string Examine
Christian,
I recently had to reinstall all my apps (did a clean install of MacOS).

Things were good with 10.8.1 until after the clean install. Now I seem to have to run the script now and again.
I did remove all the *plist files in that directory and restarted Cinema but once in a while things go wacky with the SPE.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Greg
brutesque

Post by brutesque »

This problem is not exclusive to Cinema4D. I have random axis inversion in Blender as well.