Issue with ZBrush and new SpaceMouse Enterprise

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

Sphynx

Issue with ZBrush and new SpaceMouse Enterprise

Post by Sphynx »

Hello everyone,

Recently bought a SpaceMouse Enterprise and it works great on other applications, but I noticed I am having issues with ZBrush as its not remembering my horizon lock or navigation mode but it does remember the speed I set for ZBrush.

Configuration is:

ZBrush 2023.1

3DxWare:10.8.12.3545
3DxWinCore 17.8.12.19992

SpaceMouse Enterprise Firmware: 4.42

Anyone that could help I would appreciate it, also, does anyone know why certain apps don't have access to change navigation modes like Maya?
ngomes

Re: Issue with ZBrush and new SpaceMouse Enterprise

Post by ngomes »

Sphynx wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 7:01 pm I am having issues with ZBrush as its not remembering my horizon lock or navigation mode but it does remember the speed
This suggests an issue with saving the navigation settings.

Can you attach a copy of the "ZBrush.user.config" found in the "%APPDATA%\3Dconnexion\3DxWare\navlib" directory?
Sphynx

Post by Sphynx »

ngomes wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 11:24 am
Sphynx wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 7:01 pm I am having issues with ZBrush as its not remembering my horizon lock or navigation mode but it does remember the speed
This suggests an issue with saving the navigation settings.

Can you attach a copy of the "ZBrush.user.config" found in the "%APPDATA%\3Dconnexion\3DxWare\navlib" directory?
The only navlib folders I have are located here:

ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Sphynx wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 9:52 pm The only navlib folders I have are located here:
Those are where the defaults settings go.

The user settings (the data modified and kept between application sessions) are saved to the directory that I mentioned before. Normally, this directory is found at:

Code: Select all

C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Roaming\3Dconnexion\3DxWare\navlib
Sphynx

Post by Sphynx »

ngomes wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 3:53 am
Sphynx wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 9:52 pm The only navlib folders I have are located here:
Those are where the defaults settings go.

The user settings (the data modified and kept between application sessions) are saved to the directory that I mentioned before. Normally, this directory is found at:

Code: Select all

C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Roaming\3Dconnexion\3DxWare\navlib
A navlib folder does not exist there. I’ve reinstalled multiple times and nothing there.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Sphynx wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 7:11 am A navlib folder does not exist there. I’ve reinstalled multiple times and nothing there.
The folder is not created during installation.

It is only created when the user has changed one of the corresponding settings and the application has closed the driver connection.

Do you only observe this issue ("navigation mode" and "lock horizon" settings not saved) when using ZBrush? Conversely, are these settings saved when using SketchUp?
Sphynx

Post by Sphynx »

ngomes wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 7:37 am
Sphynx wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 7:11 am A navlib folder does not exist there. I’ve reinstalled multiple times and nothing there.
The folder is not created during installation.

It is only created when the user has changed one of the corresponding settings and the application has closed the driver connection.

Do you only observe this issue ("navigation mode" and "lock horizon" settings not saved) when using ZBrush? Conversely, are these settings saved when using SketchUp?

I just tried a bunch of programs and the navlib folder was finally created with entries inside only for Substance Painter and Unreal Engine 5.1 and it remembers my settings for both.

The programs it does not remember settings for are the following:

- Maya 2024
- Zbrush 2023

They did not get a user.config file generated for them in the new navlib folder that was created once I modified substance painter's settings:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Other professional software I use, but cant fully test due to limited or no support from 3DConnexion:

Supported but do not feature full support of multiple navigation modes like ZBrush or Maya:

- SideFX Houdini (No choice for navigation modes so no navlib entry found)
- Blender (No choice for navigation modes so no navlib enty found)

Professional Applications with no current support by 3DConnexion:

- RizomUV [Virtual Spaces] (Extremely advanced UV editor and unwrapper for complex geometry)
- Marvelous Designer
- Marmoset Toolbag 4

Would love more navigation modes and support for the listed programs above as a side note, I literally would just need a "Camera Mode" navigation mode and a "Lock Horizon" setting for them.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

And SketchUp?

Are you running Maya and ZBrush any differently from the application that work as expected (create the .user.config file in the "navlib" directory)? Ffor example, is Maya or ZBrush run as administrator or as a different user account?
Sphynx

Post by Sphynx »

ngomes wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 12:07 pm And SketchUp?

Are you running Maya and ZBrush any differently from the application that work as expected (create the .user.config file in the "navlib" directory)? Ffor example, is Maya or ZBrush run as administrator or as a different user account?
I don't own or use sketchup.

No, neither Maya nor ZBrush are running as elevated, neither is 3dxware. I have checked in the task manager for each. They are all running the same as everything else. Everything is only run from my single main account.

Not sure what else to check.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Sphynx wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 6:10 am I don't own or use sketchup.
Understood.
Is your user account able to delete and recreate the "navlib" using File Explorer? I think it is but it may be better to confirm as it's a simple check.

If that works, then there appears to be a failure in the applications during termination. Perhaps they are crashing in the code that saves the file. Since two applications are affected, it suggests a common cause but we do not know what that is.

We cannot reproduce the issue, of course.
Sphynx

Post by Sphynx »

ngomes wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 7:17 am
Sphynx wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 6:10 am I don't own or use sketchup.
Understood.
Is your user account able to delete and recreate the "navlib" using File Explorer? I think it is but it may be better to confirm as it's a simple check.

If that works, then there appears to be a failure in the applications during termination. Perhaps they are crashing in the code that saves the file. Since two applications are affected, it suggests a common cause but we do not know what that is.

We cannot reproduce the issue, of course.

Yes, I can delete the files with no issues. I can manipulate any file on the system without any permission errors both from Explorer, the PowerShell terminal, and the command prompt.

Is this a Windows 11 specific issue, maybe?

I'm on:

Edition Windows 11 Pro
Version 22H2
OS build 22621.1778
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22642.1000.0

Machine specs:

8 core 16 thread Intel 9900K @ 5 GHz
NVIDIA RTX 3080 Ti
64 GB DDR4 RAM
Samsung 2 TB NVMe SSD OS Drive
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Sphynx wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:37 am Is this a Windows 11 specific issue, maybe?
Unlikely but we do not really know what is going on.
Sphynx

Post by Sphynx »

ngomes wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:51 am
Sphynx wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:37 am Is this a Windows 11 specific issue, maybe?
Unlikely but we do not really know what is going on.
This seems to be a Windows 11-specific issue, as I just pulled out an older, entirely separate machine running the following version of Windows 10 using the identical SpaceMouse Enterprise:

Edition: Windows 10 Pro
Build: 22H2
OS build: 19045.3031
Experience: Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19041.1000.0

The settings saved as expected, but the identical SpaceMouse Enterprise on the latest version of Windows 11 Pro does not save for ZBrush or Maya, yet it works flawlessly on the latest version of Windows 10 Pro.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Sphynx wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:22 am The settings saved as expected, but the identical SpaceMouse Enterprise on the latest version of Windows 11 Pro does not save for ZBrush or Maya, yet it works flawlessly on the latest version of Windows 10 Pro.
Thanks for taking the time to check this on another machine.

We tested using Windows 11 and could not see any issues. Since it works for you on the older machine, we suspect there is something that causes the applications to crash on the problematic system.

For example, are the settings saved if you exit the driver ("Stop 3DxWare" shortcut in Start menu) before ending the applications?
Sphynx

Post by Sphynx »

ngomes wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:56 am
Sphynx wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:22 am The settings saved as expected, but the identical SpaceMouse Enterprise on the latest version of Windows 11 Pro does not save for ZBrush or Maya, yet it works flawlessly on the latest version of Windows 10 Pro.
Thanks for taking the time to check this on another machine.

We tested using Windows 11 and could not see any issues. Since it works for you on the older machine, we suspect there is something that causes the applications to crash on the problematic system.

For example, are the settings saved if you exit the driver ("Stop 3DxWare" shortcut in Start menu) before ending the applications?
Sadly after trying that the settings were still not saved.

I made this video to help provide info on whats going on behind the scenes with the latest driver when settings are change and ZBrush is closed maybe this will help:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x18GF5_LxkE