CAD Mouse button macros sometimes not working

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

maschl

CAD Mouse button macros sometimes not working

Post by maschl »

Hi there,

I have copy/paste on the side buttons for all apps, all Windows 10 components where needed, browser etc., but sometimes, they just go back to forward/backwards. Ist this a Windows behaviour I can turn off/modify or is there any way to fix this? It's unpredictable, so it gets in the way quite a bit.

Thank you!
luping

Re: CAD Mouse button macros sometimes not working

Post by luping »

Slow down your mouse's click operation to let the button to register, Windows desktop operating system is not a real time operating system, and the 3DxWare driver need time to process your clicks.
luping

Post by luping »

Especially so if you change applications too fast that the 3DxWare driver can't catch up the application-specific configuration switch operation to meet your desktop operation speed.
maschl

Post by maschl »

luping wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 6:54 pm Slow down your mouse's click operation to let the button to registe
Thank you for the (always reliable) replay! How would I go about that? I haven't found any corresponding settings
luping

Post by luping »

maschl wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 1:36 am
luping wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 6:54 pm Slow down your mouse's click operation to let the button to registe
Thank you for the (always reliable) replay! How would I go about that? I haven't found any corresponding settings
promon.jpg
promon.jpg (251.49 KiB) Viewed 3272 times
This is how constant the 3DxService.exe and 3DxProfileServer.exe are monitoring and changing profile/configuration files. By the way, the microswitches used by the two side buttons of your 3Dconnexion CadMouse are of low lifespan(durability), about 5 million mechanical clicks per side button microswitch, actual electrical durability is even shorter(less than 5% of the mechanical durability) when electricity is on.
luping

Post by luping »

OMRON microswitch.jpg
OMRON microswitch.jpg (190.47 KiB) Viewed 3271 times
The three main buttons in CadMouse Pro Wireless, CadMouse Pro use OMRON blue dot D2FC-F-K(50M), with 50 million mechanical clicks durability, but it will cause double-click issue after roughly 8-12 months of intense use in office before you apply for replacement through RMA.
maschl

Post by maschl »

:x
You have warned me before and I already have a larger number of the switches you recommended at hand. As long as the side switches are the same... I only bought the mouse because of the better switches, so after all that is only half-true :roll:
luping

Post by luping »

maschl wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:32 am :x
You have warned me before and I already have a larger number of the switches you recommended at hand. As long as the side switches are the same... I only bought the mouse because of the better switches, so after all that is only half-true :roll:
The business of making ergonomic mice for professionals is quite tricky, without planed obsolescence, the company would go out of business.
maschl

Post by maschl »

luping wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 4:50 pm The business of making ergonomic mice for professionals is quite tricky, without planed obsolescence, the company would go out of business.
I know, that's a given. On the other hand - I'll never, ever buy Logitech again for that very reason, SteelSeries, Roccat... I bought 3Dx because my SpaceNavigator still works like on day 1. I'll probably buy Wacom again, since their tablet is still fine after 15 years, even though they're trying to shoot this one down by declaring it a "legacy product" and don't release new drivers anymore.

I say - as long as they make products that can be repaired, that's a normal state for me. Otherwiase, I WILL NOT buy a product, unless there's absolutely no other choice. I'm happy to pay a high price and not deal with flimsiness. The mouse has left a good impression so far, let's see how it lasts. I have answered all the 3DX polls accordingly, knowing those were mostly advertisements.
luping

Post by luping »

maschl wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:38 pm
luping wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 4:50 pm The business of making ergonomic mice for professionals is quite tricky, without planed obsolescence, the company would go out of business.
I know, that's a given. On the other hand - I'll never, ever buy Logitech again for that very reason, SteelSeries, Roccat... I bought 3Dx because my SpaceNavigator still works like on day 1. I'll probably buy Wacom again, since their tablet is still fine after 15 years, even though they're trying to shoot this one down by declaring it a "legacy product" and don't release new drivers anymore.

I say - as long as they make products that can be repaired, that's a normal state for me. Otherwiase, I WILL NOT buy a product, unless there's absolutely no other choice. I'm happy to pay a high price and not deal with flimsiness. The mouse has left a good impression so far, let's see how it lasts. I have answered all the 3DX polls accordingly, knowing those were mostly advertisements.
Judging from your comment, it's really a hard business when the consumers/customers are so cunning... Though I'm not in favour of flashy consumerism, investing a small proportion of your income over the years is not a big issue as long as you have stable/new stream of money(profit/salary) into your bank account.
maschl

Post by maschl »

"cunning" is well put...

Let's say there's one solution I'd happily accept:

I used to have a Samsung Laser printer, which held up for a good 10 years minimum, and before that an OKI colour Laser. These would always give me end-of-cycle messages for their (replaceable) components.

So if there was a click counter in the mouse driver giving a warning on those 100.000 clicks, I know I'd better order my next mouse. That, although it's still diametrically opposed to my principles, would at least be fair and would, imo, combine the understandable need for planned obsolescence AND, in a sort of twisted way, the reliability I crave. So if I get "reliability" through something like a S.M.A.R.T. readout on HDs (I NEVER lost data for that reason) instead of a device or part of it just failing.

There's nothing more embarassing than having your hardware and/or software go haywire when in a screensharing session with clients, which I frequently do experience. Wacom gets the cursor/brush controls stuck, so everything jerks around uncontrollably, or my Roccat mouse starts double/triple/whatever clicking, in a very unpredictable manner.
Nothing screams "unprofessional" more than that. It hasn't caused me any serious trouble yet, since those are still my clients, but it still is very annoying and embarrassing.

Stable income: in my case, that is the case only since a few years, which is definitely my fault, but it has taught me resourcefulness. Now, and this shouldn't be taken as invitation, I'll happily spend business money - otherwise it all goes to taxes and leaves me with literally nothing. All I want is reliability, like people demand from me. My Logitech MX1000 is still working, the wheel is junk, but after 15+ years I can still use it as backup (though the LMB failed after the 1st day of use and the entire unit had to be replaced). Did Logitech go broke? No. Maybe that one was just sheer luck.

As conclusion: I'm still using (very expensive) guitar equipment I bought in the mid 90ies. It never failed me to this day, except the "most technologically advanced" amplifier back in the day. All companies still exist.
My studio flashes all work perfectly since the 80ies & 90ies. Except the most technologically advanced, newest unit, which started smoking wildly when a client held it in hand. That company, although it was the one developing the most ground breaking technology in the 50ies, is now erased from the planet, so I have to buy used units to make up for the "cutting edge technology" ones. So, is massive planned obsolescence always a great idea?
luping

Post by luping »

There is a third-party tool called Mousotron that can be used to monitor mouse and keyboard activity, it is a mouse and keyboard usage measurement software.
Download from here: https://www.blacksunsoftware.com/mousotron.html
mouso.jpg
mouso.jpg (20.85 KiB) Viewed 3202 times
Computer mouse is not a high cost device, just buy and use it, it's simply consumer electronics, it's not listed in the durable goods category. As for high reliability demand in consumer electronics industry, it comes at high cost, more labour hours input for more tests, regulatory certification, higher than projected components sourcing cost, they all lead to high final product prices that eventually deter many consumers. Most of the patents for computer mice have expired since it was invented more than 50 years ago, so the computer mouse market is saturated with excessive competition.

I have two CadMouse devices at the same time, one is just in the drawer beneath the keyboard, in case one fails due to double-click issue.

The Logitech MX1000 Laser Cordless Mouse is such a quality mouse that Logitech people no longer sell it.
So, is massive planned obsolescence always a great idea?
It's a great idea for the manufacturers of computer mice, though not a good one for some end users. As is the case for the pharmaceutical industry, they want you to subscribe to their pills on a regular basis, so that they can make a long-term stable stream of income.
maschl

Post by maschl »

Hah, you're a genius. Thanks a lot for the Mousotron link!

I'm also thinking about getting a backup device. I just hate getting used to new gear 8) And yes, the market is so oversaturated with total junk, it just makes sense to stick with one device that's closest to your industry. But, as mentioned, a few years back I would have chewed my arm off before succumbing to plannned obsolescence...

Thank you again for being helpful!