Anyone able to get the SpaceNavigator working on Windows 11?

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

FSync

Re: Anyone able to get the SpaceNavigator working on Windows 11?

Post by FSync »

jwick wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 12:49 am The SpaceNavigator fine works on Windows 11.

It is greyed out in the GUI to indicate it is no longer "officially supported". Most importantly it is not tested anymore. Though some of us still use it--in fact I was using one last week. It could break. Fair warning. But it is not currently broken.

And if it was broken, neither the buttons nor the cap would work.

If it starts to become unreliable, from user reports, we may remove it all together. So far that has not happened.

In any case, you should be able to run older driver builds that did support the device for quite some time. We have those archived on our web site.
It is very rare that Microsoft changes the environment so much that old drivers won't run on the new O/S. Microsoft is quite good at that. But they are getting more strict when it comes to kernel drivers. I can see them causing our older drivers to not work. If you are an Apple user, you are probably familiar with this policy. Microsoft is much better about it.

On the other hand, we can't do anything about the range of devices ISVs support. Some ISVs do not use our SDK so they are not insulated from device changes. They only support what they have tested, but the problem tends to be in not supporting new devices, rather than dropping old devices. I forget what EVE Online is using. We were talking to them about updating their support a few months back, which means they are definitely not using the latest SDK.

If EVE Online does not support your device you need to ask them about it.

OTOH, if you have installed and uninstalled 20 times, you may have messed up the installation. One way or the other, that just means some of the wrong files are in place and that can be fixed.

First off, let's establish if the known software is working. Do our demos work? E.g., the jet and cube3d demos which are by default in:
%ProgramFiles%\3Dconnexion\3DxWare\3DxWinCore\jet.exe and Cube3d.exe.

By working, I mean, do you have all 6 DOF and do the buttons bring up our GUI and reset the view.
If only some of that works, more than likely you have some cfg file issues.

Report back on that, please.

While you are at it, run the diagnostic program that collects 3D mouse related information about your system. To do this, hold down the shift key and Right Click on the 3Dx systray icon -> Run Diagnostics. If it says Logging is not enabled (in bright red), exit it and select Write Log file in the 3Dx systray menu, then restart the driver (Windows Start menu). After that, Run Diagnostics again. Check Include Registry entries, and dump files then Collect System Information. This takes a while. When it is done, it will open a Windows Explorer window to the file it created. That file will be big. PM a link to it (OneDriver, etc) to me.

Hi Jwick,

It's been a while since I've been out of the running for a bit, my most sincere apologies for my earlier wording on the forum.

Instead of trying to solve a potential "driver issue", I've went and done a complete fresh install of Windows 11 and installed the latest driver from 3d connexxion.

I'm using the 3d connexxion Trainer "Feedback meter" for troubleshooting these inputs.
Within the trainer "feedback meter" I can see that Pan L/R, Zoom and Spin are working correctly.
Pan U/D, Tilt and Roll are not, however if I fully press the mouse down, for some reason it does measure a max Pan D.

What's peculiar about this situation and why I went off earlier is because, I've had this exact problem over a year ago, with windows 10, I cleaned the device with isopropyl alcohol because I thought it was broken, but the problem remained.

However, I was running Windows 10 20H1 at the time, when I updated my Windows installation to 21H2 the mouse for some reason was completely functional again... Up until the point I've upgraded the machine to Windows 11 I haven't been able to use it at all.

So I suppose I'll try and clean the device again, maybe that should work.

Next time I'll post a video of my findings/mouse it's behaviour.

Really appreciate the effort you put in to your post to assist me, thanks!
FSync

Post by FSync »

Well, I've went ahead and shrunk one of my volumes on my machine to install Windows 10 to the side, installed to the latest version of Windows 10, started out with a legacy windows 10 X64 driver supported for the SpaceNavigator, same problem occurred, upgraded to the latest version of the driver and software and the problem is still there.

Maybe I have to accept that perhaps, this unit is truly broken.

I'll try and see if it's possible to repair/get it repaired because I can't really afford a new one.
jwick

Post by jwick »

If it behaves similarly on a fresh system (no user software cfgs) with some of our more neutral demos (jet, cube), it could be the device.
FSync

Post by FSync »

It's the device.

I've went ahead and tested the board below the mouse which accepts all inputs and outputs.

Moving around the mouse I can measure data coming in too, the problem seems to lie between the connector of the knob and the board, I'm going to have a look at that but I think I can fix this.