Whole Slide Image viewer support

Post questions, comments and feedback to our 3Dconnexion Windows Development Team.

Moderator: Moderators

pathtester

Whole Slide Image viewer support

Post by pathtester »

I see from searching the forums that the 3Dconnexion devices are not suited for current whole slide image (WSI) viewing applications, which are now browser based. There is a significant need for an efficient WSI navigating device. I think this device has the potential to be dominant in the market if the software or driver support was developed for its use in this environment. I found out the hard way (bought a device first) that 3Dconnexion will not work with PathPresenter. PathPresenter is the most popular WSI format agnostic viewer. You can see a publicly available implementation here:
https://asdp-vsl.pathpresenter.net/publ ... n=81c5458e

Please consider integration of 3Dconnexion with PathPresenter. Part of the reason I tried the 3DConnexion device is because of this peer reviewed article:
Molin J, Lundström C, Fjeld M. A comparative study of input devices for digital slide navigation. J Pathol Inform. 2015 Feb 24;6:7. doi: 10.4103/2153-3539.151894. PMID: 25774318; PMCID: PMC4355836.
jwick

Re: Whole Slide Image viewer support

Post by jwick »

You can try this.
It works ok. Promising. But I'd question if anyone would want to use it all day.
A better solution would require the page to handle the 3d mouse events. There is no current way to do that.
pathtester

Re: Whole Slide Image viewer support

Post by pathtester »

jwick, thanks for your reply and link to the relevant discussion thread and files. The instructions in the thread and Readme file were clear, which I appreciate. I did get the SpaceMouse working in ImageScope, but as you suggest, it is a not a good user experience. Such a shame, since using the SpaceMouse in the included training program was a fantastic user experience. I wish you the best of luck in the future and hope one day to take my SpaceMouse out of the box again.