3DxService.exe locking WinRAR.exe

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

HoffY

3DxService.exe locking WinRAR.exe

Post by HoffY »

Hi,

This has alarmed me for quite a many months now but i've only just decided to make a post.

I've tried updating WinRAR to newer versions a number of times over the last 12 months and would get an error that i couldn't update WinRAR due to it being nin use. Very puzzling. I gave up updating a number of times because i didn't have the time nor patience to troubleshoot it but eventually there was a large enough security bug fix in WinRAR that i had to solve it to get the updated fix and i found out that it was 3DxService.exe locking WinRAR.exe which is VERY strange as they are totally unrelated programs.

i want to make the people aware that this is happening in case other users have issues and also to get a response from the developers as to why completely unrelated applications have this suspicious "connexion".
luping

Re: 3DxService.exe locking WinRAR.exe

Post by luping »

Oh, that's easy to fix, just click 'Stop 3DxWare' to stop the driver, then you can anything you want with WinRAR archive manager software. By the way, why not use 7-Zip?
luping

Post by luping »

Typo, it's 'do anything with'.
HoffY

Post by HoffY »

No, its not easy to "fix". A)it should not be happening in the first place. They are COMPLETELY unrelated applications. and B)can only be worked around once you know what service is preventing it from being modified in the first place. Which again.. should not be happening as they are totally unrelated applications.
luping wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 5:15 am By the way, why not use 7-Zip?
Because 7Zip sucks and WinRAR has far better support, functionality and features.
luping

Post by luping »

Because 7Zip sucks and WinRAR has far better support, functionality and features.
You admitted that 7-Zip is good.

Irregular Adjectives:
good(positive), better(comparative),best(superlative).