Wheel issues

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

Femke22

Wheel issues

Post by Femke22 »

I've had 3 different CadMouse Pro Wireless for the past 4 year.
At first it is all just happy and joy, but after a while the wheel starts to act up.
First time I thought it would just be a bad production. I had to send them lots of papers and photo's BUT I got a replacement.
Second time the exact same issue and I have done the exact same procedure. They got me a replacement again. (So far for the just one bad production).
Now I got the same issue AGAIN. I refuse to do the whole procedure again. I am goiing to buy another mouse somewhere else, but please just make sure the future mouses don't have this issue. It is not only alot money loss to you but also time and money loss to us.
CDRDA

Re: Wheel issues

Post by CDRDA »

I've just ordered my 3rd CAD Mouse Pro wireless... I love the mouse, the feel, the grip etc. The extra button that opens the menu is invaluable to my workflow now, which is why I am giving them one more chance... It is worth noting that I used to buy Razer Mamba mice and had similar issues after a similar time too, which is interesting....

My current mouse is out of warranty, but had some scrolling wheel issues, which I have written about on here before. Happily everything was fixed up nicely by taking the mouse apart and carefully cleaning the wheel and mechanisms, as well as disconnecting as many of the wires as possible and reseating them. This happened periodically and seemed mainly due to dust/dirt getting into the mouse from daily use.

However, this last time none of that worked. It seems either the plastic hex spindle that goes into the scroll housing has worn down and slips, or the scroll housing itself is malfunctioning. I have yet to try using isopropyl alcohol and have just used a pressurised air spray to clean everything out. Still the problem makes the wheel unusable and I am having to try to remember to use my space mouse for scrolling instead!
luping

Post by luping »

Femke22 wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:26 pm I've had 3 different CadMouse Pro Wireless for the past 4 year.
At first it is all just happy and joy, but after a while the wheel starts to act up.
First time I thought it would just be a bad production. I had to send them lots of papers and photo's BUT I got a replacement.
Second time the exact same issue and I have done the exact same procedure. They got me a replacement again. (So far for the just one bad production).
Now I got the same issue AGAIN. I refuse to do the whole procedure again. I am goiing to buy another mouse somewhere else, but please just make sure the future mouses don't have this issue. It is not only alot money loss to you but also time and money loss to us.
The secret in computer mouse manufacturing business is that if the vendor/manufacturer select the long-lifespan components, the manufacturing plant would go out of business without recurring orders, the employees who depend on monthly salaries would have no work to do during the interval between assembly/production orders. So to make the business going, the default scroll wheel encoder is of low lifespan by design and selection, it's called planned obsolescence.
luping

Post by luping »

CDRDA wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 3:56 am I've just ordered my 3rd CAD Mouse Pro wireless... I love the mouse, the feel, the grip etc. The extra button that opens the menu is invaluable to my workflow now, which is why I am giving them one more chance... It is worth noting that I used to buy Razer Mamba mice and had similar issues after a similar time too, which is interesting....

My current mouse is out of warranty, but had some scrolling wheel issues, which I have written about on here before. Happily everything was fixed up nicely by taking the mouse apart and carefully cleaning the wheel and mechanisms, as well as disconnecting as many of the wires as possible and reseating them. This happened periodically and seemed mainly due to dust/dirt getting into the mouse from daily use.

However, this last time none of that worked. It seems either the plastic hex spindle that goes into the scroll housing has worn down and slips, or the scroll housing itself is malfunctioning. I have yet to try using isopropyl alcohol and have just used a pressurised air spray to clean everything out. Still the problem makes the wheel unusable and I am having to try to remember to use my space mouse for scrolling instead!
Buy a new one, so the manufacturer has new income/revenue to keep the business going forward. Otherwise, you can replace the mouse wheel encoder with a TTC yellow/golden 9mm mouse wheel encoder, it's of long lifespan.
deadfond

Post by deadfond »

The trick to computer mouse manufacturing is that if the vendor/manufacturer chooses long-life components, the plant will close without recurring orders, leaving monthly-paid employees unemployed. Planning obsolescence means the default scroll wheel encoder has a short lifetime to keep the company continuing.