Navigation Mode keeps switching back to Target Camera

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

3dMusse

Navigation Mode keeps switching back to Target Camera

Post by 3dMusse »

Fusion 360 user, every time I enter orthographic mode the camera switches from "free flight" to "target camera".

Every CAD professional I know, including myself switches back and forth between perspective and orthographic constantly. Please tell me there is a fix for this, allowing me to stay in "free flight" mode regard of whether or not I'm in perspective or orthographic mode. Speaking frankly, without a solution the mouse goes from being a really cool productivity tool to a completely useless paperweight.
skmiec

Re: Navigation Mode keeps switching back to Target Camera

Post by skmiec »

Hi 3dMusse thanks for your post.

It's natural behavior and can't be fixed/changed.
It would be hard to use fly mode in orthographic view as you don't see the perspective and depth of the model. That's why it's switched to target camera automatically in orthographic mode.
3dMusse

Post by 3dMusse »

In attempting to solve the perspective vs orthographic camera issue the team has introduced a "feature" that seriously degrades the whole experience. I made the mistake of recommending the Spacemouse Pro to some of my colleagues - I will now have to appraise them of this issue before they make the mistake of buying one.

Like me, every one of them is interested in being able to "fly" around the model, unbound by a focal point, and since myself and every other designer/sculptor I know regularly switches between perspective and ortho, the onerousness of having to keep the settings open and uncheck a box every 45 seconds is absolutely not worth it.

What a shame to have such a brilliant little piece of hardware rendered worthless by such a profoundly boneheaded design decision.
sunflovver

Post by sunflovver »

I second 3dMusse.

The introduction of the Target Camera significantly degraded the experience for me. The Space Mouse is still a cool paper weight thou.

Seriously, make it work like it used to be before the target camera. It just worked and now it is broken. At least in SketchUP.

I feel like my arm was cut off with that "change".

Dennis
sunflovver

Post by sunflovver »

I do feel quite angry about the change. I'm spending 8 to 14 hours per day modeling. The spatial navigation control was engrained into my brain very deep for the last 20 years.
What makes me even angrier is that the manufacturer representatives say "it is impossible to do otherwise". When in fact it just worked well before the introduction of the feature.

Roll it back for SketchUP!
EdwardNar

Greetings, forum pals! Sending you all favorable vibes.

Post by EdwardNar »

Happy to see this! Great facts and the clarity of fine detail shared is wonderful!
Thank you everyone!
sunflovver

Post by sunflovver »

Ok, it looks like the latest driver doesn't default back to the Target Camera.
Good job
skmiec

Post by skmiec »

Hi sunflovver and 3DMussem

Thank you for your input and feedback.
I would be glad if you could share your user scenario in more detailed way. Maybe we will be able to figure out something to make your experience better.

Can you give us more info about how this change affects you.
Do you normally use fly mode in perspective to move around/in scene/object and later you switch to orto mode to make specific work on some part of the object? Or is it in a bit different way?