SpaceMouse & Bluetooth

If you have questions or comments concerning any non-support related 3Dconnexion topic, please use this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

paolopg

Re: SpaceMouse & Bluetooth

Post by paolopg »

Hi all,

Also just registered to be able to leave this message.

PLEASE update your products to use Bluetooth.

Your users have been begging for this feature, for years now.

Thank you.
santokki

Post by santokki »

Adding my vote requesting a bluetooth spacemouse to your product line asap
jwick

Post by jwick »

flyingbike

Post by flyingbike »

Yep. Excellent news.

One would expect the non-pro space mouse to be updated the same way

Thank you
teslafly

Post by teslafly »

https://3dconnexion.com/us/product/spac ... -wireless/

Looks like they finally came out with one that has usb-c and bluetooth.
Now do the regular smaller spacemouse wireless.
freewill-axis

Post by freewill-axis »

Amazing, I never thought I'd see the day.

Of course they didn't do the one that would most benefit from mobile charging/connectivity first, but baby steps are still steps in the right direction.

Thank you. Here's to a proper 2023 Spacemouse Wireless.
leorleor

bad taste that bluetooth is only released for less-portable pro?

Post by leorleor »

Does it leave a bad taste in anyone's mouth that bluetooth is only released for the less-portable spacemouse pro?

Like 3dconnexxion is hoping people buy the more expensive model just to get this feature. Thus delaying bluetooth feature in other models.

I'm pretty sure in a number of months they'll release bluetooth for non-pro spacemouse. From a user-perspective the non-pro is the one that needs bluetooth 1st. Because the non-pro model is compact, power-efficient, travel-friendly.

I suggest the number of months has nothing to do with technical challenges. Instead it will be CALCULATED TO BE ANNOYING. I estimate 3-6 months thus well after holiday shopping and return dates. Note there is zero technical challenge, it is purely a money grab.

That tack, restricting customers instead of enabling their creativity, will lead this company to ruin. Either 3dconnexion will change their tack, or another company or DIY project will fill the gap. Either way works for me. Sooner is better. I'm glad I did not buy the proprietary wireless a few months ago.
HewnSmith

Post by HewnSmith »

Absolute bad taste! I just asked customer support to elaborate on this, and the reply was disappointing at best. I just bought the SpaceMouse® Wireless Kit 2 and it's an embarrassing hodge-podge of different connections. I wish they didn't sell this as kits or made it obvious that you'd need an adapter to use the dongle (my laptop only has USB-C ports, as I'm sure most modern users do). How hard could it have been to add Bluetooth to all their wireless products? The company is owned by Logitech unless I'm mistaken, surely there are resources under that parent company? And of course there are no user reviews on their shop website, handy for not having negative feedback.
psionic001

Post by psionic001 »

+1
Got the wireless kit 2 with an assumption it was all bluetooth.
I feel like an idiot for spending 5 mins trying to figure out how to connect the space mouse part via BT.
And what's with microUSB plus USB-A. Last time I looked it was almost 2024 and USB-C is the standard. Just means I have to carry around an extra dongle and USB-C to USB-A converter which is exactly what I was trying to eliminate.
Sigh... clearly they don't read or care about these forum feedbacks as USBC charging and BT would be trivial for them to implement.

Rant over....
Hypersonic

Post by Hypersonic »

Good to hear that there's now support! 13 years ago I had requested Bluetooth for mobile devices. One device is a good start.
https://forum.3dconnexion.com/viewtopic.php?p=23046

Has anyone tried the Bluetooth edition on Android or iOS devices? I suppose it's a given that WinOS and MacOS are supported. 11 years ago I inquired about Bluetooth HID
https://forum.3dconnexion.com/viewtopic.php?t=7749

Fast forward to 2024 and there are many more controllers for mobile, and many more applications that can use multi-axis support.
jwick

Post by jwick »

...and you thought we forgot about you, Hypsersonic!
Hypersonic

Post by Hypersonic »

Thanks JWick! I need to swap this dusty racing wheel & pedals with the new 3DMouse. I haven't used either in a long time.

If it does end up working for mobile devices I was thinking that for apps that don't have controller support (such as through Bluetooth HID) perhaps a driver could be made to convert 3DMouse inputs into screen controls. That could open it up to all apps.

Such as:

3DMouse x/y to 1 finger pan horizontal / vertical.
3DMouse z to 2 finger spread to zoom in/out
3DMouse Rz to 2 finger rotate to rotate the view
3DMouse Rx to 2 finger vertical pan to pitch the view
3DMouse Ry to 2 finger horizontal pan to roll the view

Finger touch controls are limited, such as you can't 1 finger pan while at the same time as 2 finger pan, making the 3DMouse much more flexible. Also finger touching obstructs the screen view with your fingers, while using a 3DMouse does not. Frees up touching the screen for other things like targeting and soft button pushing.

With tilt controls it can be difficult to gauge how much you're tilting from center.
freewill-axis

Post by freewill-axis »

@jwick, do you have any visibility into release timing of a real spacemouse wireless (aka portable edition, not pro edition) with bluetooth support?

I've started doing more modeling again and would like to use this on the road with my laptop, but am not willing to jump through dongle hoops and outdated charging cables on planes, trains, or automobiles. It's bad enough to put up with this stuff in the office, but not when weight, space, and impact of forgetfulness is at a premium.

Thank you for considering!
GrantHappy

Post by GrantHappy »

Hypersonic wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 9:10 pm Good to hear that there's now support! 13 years ago I had requested Bluetooth for mobile devices. One device is a good start.
https://forum.3dconnexion.com/viewtopic.php?p=23046

Has anyone tried the Bluetooth edition on Android or iOS devices? I suppose it's a given that WinOS and MacOS are supported. 11 years ago I inquired about Bluetooth HID
https://forum.3dconnexion.com/viewtopic.php?t=7749

Fast forward to 2024 and there are many more controllers for mobile, and many more applications that can use multi-axis support.
You share very good links with us, thank you so much!
KatAdair

Post by KatAdair »

Wait a minute...so are you saying this $170 SpaceMouse I just purchased requires a DONGLE to connect it to my laptop????? I'm on a Mac...we don't do DONGLES. We have Bluetooth, which we've had for over 20 years. I don't even have the antiquated USB rectangular port on my laptop that I bought in 2018. Please tell me this doesn't require an ADAPTER to hook in a DONGLE that I will lose!

I've just spent 20 minutes trying to get this to connect to my laptop, and was looking for general troubleshooting info. I never expected to get information about this! Grrrrrrr.
-------------------------------
CAD Trainer SketchUp/ZBrush/Shapr3D
Mountains of Colorado