3D Mouse not working with Cinema 4D on M1 Mac

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

skmiec

Re: 3D Mouse not working with Cinema 4D on M1 Mac

Post by skmiec »

Hi brutesque

Thank you for your message and sorry for inconvenience.
Can you please share what are size of the files/project you typically work on?
brutesque

Post by brutesque »

Why does project size matter if the normal keyboard + mouse navigation works great? Yes, my projects can become big if i'm doing architecture animations. That was never a problem before on my MacPro Classic.
As my projects grow, the latency with the 3d space mouse grows exponentially.

If you are going to blame the problems on the users project, why don't you supply some info about how big our projects are allowed to be? Can you share the project files that you use internally to test that your product and drivers work as can be expected?
brutesque

Post by brutesque »

I just opened up an architecture project with extended surroundings. It's a 1.3GB c4d file with a lot of external alembic files. I cannot simply share that with you. But i can tell you that navigating it is impossible with the space mouse, while native kb+m navigation is absolutely flawless and fast. But if i even bump the 3d space mouse accidentally, i can wait for a 10+ seconds for the movements to play out. If i'm attempting any serious movement, it can take a minute (no joke). It's clear that the space mouse is building up a queue of movements that it plays back with incredible delay. What's even worse is that while the space mouse is still trying to empty out the queue, i can take the kb+m and still navigate that way. It's useless obviously, because the space mouse will continuously interrupts the native navigation. But it's very clear that the project size is not bogging down c4d.
brutesque

Post by brutesque »

https://3dconnexion.com/se/applications ... cinema-4d/

i consider this to be false advertising and you should remove this until you ship working drivers.
brutesque

Post by brutesque »

I cannot make it more clear than this that the current state of the drivers is horrible and unusable. It is a drain on productivity, rather than how you advertise it: "For stunning results, pair 3Dconnexion devices with Cinema 4D software to amplify its 3D capabilities.

Here you go, an unedited video of the unusable state.
https://transfers.brutesque.com/s/bSuhA78ViAorlNwE
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Refer to this post.
Nuno Gomes
Peter Fagerberg

Post by Peter Fagerberg »

Just a quick idea... It seems that some plugins can exacerbate the slowness problem when it comes to 3D mouse navigation. For example, using Snap To Floor (v1.5, https://alphapixel.net/snaptofloor-c4d/) on medium-to-larger geometries will make navigation near impossible.

I'm guessing that the 3Dconnexion driver somehow triggers a geometry recalculation for every input and that this is what slows everything down (i.e. SnapToFloor has to traverse the geometry to find its lowest point). Since Cinema 4D's native navigation doesn't do this it's very snappy.

If this is the case, it points to an error in 3Dconnexion's driver... I'm in the middle of a large project, so I don't really have the time for extensive testing, but maybe someone else can do some trials? My guess is that (some) generators and geometry-based tags are the cause of the horrendous performance issues we are experiencing.

BR, ///peter
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Audra87 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:50 am When I navigate in my project, the mouse input lags for 20-30 seconds. Although my project isn't small, it's not causing the problem.
We have address an issue that caused significant delays when using larger projects. That specific problem was resolved in v. 10.8.4 of 3DxWare 10 for macOS, the latest currently available.

We have a few more details on that issue here.
brutesque

Post by brutesque »

My issue has been fixed in 3DxWareMac_v10-8-4_r3716.dmg
Fix: [MAC-433] Buffering issue when navigating with the 3D mouse