Ubuntu 8.04

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on UNIX and Linux.

Moderator: Moderators

Regardv

Ubuntu 8.04

Post by Regardv »

I am still a super noob whern it comes to linux.. ad is finding most of thedocumentation a bit out of grasp.. I was hoping someone would assist me in getting my Space navigator to work with Blender in Ububtu..

THIS IS WHAT I HAVE DONE..
I got the linux drivers from 3dconexxion and followed the instructions.. now I am getting the following error.

/etc/3DxWare/daemon/3dxsrv: error while loading shared libraries: libXm.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I saw someone else had the same problem.. but there is no explanation as how to fix this... :?:
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hi Regardv,

see here for the solution. The command
  • # apt-get install libmotif3
installs the libmotif3 which should solve your problem.

Uta Ludwig
3Dconnexion
Regardv

thank... an now ?

Post by Regardv »

hi there. sorry for the slow reply.

I have managed to do all the installs.. and running the test cube... it works.

Now to get it to work in blender.. I have downloaded 4 diffirent versions of blender and no luck with one of them. I got the NDOF. plugin from the 3dconnexxion site and followed the instructions.. but no good..

In windows and on the mac I get a little icon in blender that is related to the device for translation and deformations and flyby.. I dont get this in Linux

In windows I managed with ver 2.46 and the plugin same for Mac.
in linux I tried version 2.45 2.46.2.47 and 2.48a and still no go..
can you tell me what I shoud do ?
appultaart

Post by appultaart »

Hi Regardv,

On my system (Ubuntu 8.04, i386), the SpaceNav is working nicely with Blender. I tried with the 2.46, 2.47, 2.48(a) versions that you can download from www.blender.org. Are you sure, the 3dConn plugin is in the correct location?

Mine is at /home/<you>/<your_blender_location>/plugins/3DxNDoFBlender.plug.

If I rename this plugin, the SpaceNav stops working, so definitively it is active. And yes, 2 icons appear in Blender, to set the mode (flymode, rotate) and switch preferred axis.

Are you sure that you start the version of Blender that contains the plugin? If you have installed Blender via the Ubuntu repository (it is an old version), typing 'blender' on command line might start that version. To make sure, go to your blender directory (same as above) and type ".blender". The <dot> makes sure you will run the "blender" program from that directory, and not the one installed by Ubuntu rep's.

Do you activate the SpaceNav daemon BEFORE starting Blender? Some other threads in the forum might also help. Goodluck.
Regardv

At last

Post by Regardv »

It turns out that, the builds I downloaded from Graphicall does not want to work

last night I downloaded 2.48a and it worked..

happiness