SiGrabDevice functionality through COM 3DxInput (TDxInput)

Post questions, comments and feedback to our 3Dconnexion Windows Development Team.

Moderator: Moderators

fostio

SiGrabDevice functionality through COM 3DxInput (TDxInput)

Post by fostio »

I need to do an exclusive grab of the SpaceExplorer from a Windows application using the TDxInput COM server. Is that possible?

I use Ruby and its win32ole library to get sensor and keyboard inputs and it works great - that is until somebody fires up a PDF reader or some other supported application and the event stream is stolen away.

If I cannot get an exclusive grab through TDxInput is there a way I can configure the installation of the driver or the COM object in the registry? Or could I use the TDxInput COM handle has an argument to SiGrabDevice(id,..) if I could load the siappdll.dll into the Ruby app's address space?

Any help appreciated!
jwick

Post by jwick »

Hi fostio,

The only way to do that at this time is via SiGrabDevice. I've submitted an enhancement request for 3DxInput.

You can also use a different API, like DI or HID. They have more detailed focus control mechanisms.

Jim
3Dx Software Development
fostio

Post by fostio »

Thanks, jwick.

Any idea as to the probability / timing of when this feature could become available? I don't want to put you on the spot... but also I don't want to invest the time and effort in DI or HID to meet this one requirement if this feature were then to become available in 3DxInput in, say, the next three months.

In the meantime I think we can make do by unchecking the supported applications during installation - thanks for making that an option!
jwick

Post by jwick »

I don't see it happening in the next three months.