Vue in OS X?

Post questions, comments and feedback to our 3Dconnexion Mac Development Team.

Moderator: Moderators

ibookworm

Vue in OS X?

Post by ibookworm »

So I just got my SpaceNavigator and tested it out in Google Earth. It made my jaw drop. Then I started up Vue 8 Infinite, which I just bought, and . . . nothing. E-on, the maker of Vue, advertises 3DConnexion support in Vue Infinite. Is there something I need to configure or activate in order to get it to work? I can find no mention of it in the documentation. Or — and I pray otherwise — is it a question of less support on Mac than exists in Windows?
Bryan

E-on's Vue 8 Infinite on MAC OS X

Post by Bryan »

Dear ibookworm,

We have E-on's Vue 7.00 Infinite listed as certified for XP and E-on's Vue Stream 7.00 Stream listed as certified for XP. I have no such certification for the Mac nor for Vue 8 Infinite. These listings can be found under the Solutions Menu's All Applications Item. You may want to contact your E-on's Vue 8 Infinite Support to see what functionality they may have provided in the user interface of their application for making use of our devices.

Sincerely,
Bryan
The more things change, the more they remain the same. ; ^ )
ibookworm

Post by ibookworm »

You might want to ask companies not to advertise support that they don't give. The mac support for this device is absolutely pathetic, which puzzles me since the mac is the machine to use for graphics work. I cannot describe my frustration and even anger at buying software that advertises SpaceNavigator support only to find that that support extends only to Windows. So far all I've been able to do with the device is fly around in Google Earth. Not even all of the demos in the System Preferences panel work.

Just pathetic.
ibookworm

Post by ibookworm »

Hurray, Vue 8.5 finally restored Spacenavigator support for the mac! There's a small process to get it working correctly, though. For anyone searching for this, here are the steps:

1. In your Vue project, click on "Main camera" in the "Objects" panel on the lower right.

2. In the "Aspects" panel on the upper right, uncheck the lock icon next to "Height." This will enable you to raise and lower the camera.

3. At the top of the row of icons on the left of that panel is a circular icon that looks like a target or a potato chip. When you mouse over it says "Always keep level." Uncheck it.

4. Go to the 3DConnexion control panel in System Preferences and adjust the sensitivity to your liking. I increased it quite a bit.

And that's it! Should work fairly well now. The only thing missing seems to be left/right tilt, but I can live without that.
ibookworm

Post by ibookworm »

Whoops, one more thing. In the System Preferences panel, make sure the zoom direction is set to vertical (on the left, with the green arrows). Oddly enough, this will make it work horizontally in Vue.