SpaceNavigator Mac OS X beta is here!

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

seacrets

Post by seacrets »

I see. Well I don't know what they told you at Google and/or Logitech booths. The only thing I know is that here in this forum they announced future support for mac os X platform and we (a lot of people) asked for beta drivers in order to beta test their software until it was finally released. And they kindly released that beta drivers. For me, I was fully informed that it would take some time.

Cheers
stuffy

Support for other devices

Post by stuffy »

I'm looking for support for other devices. I have used a SpacePilot under XP for a long time (and a SpaceMouse before that). Now I'm looking forward to use it under OS X. The initial functionality is nice, but I'm hoping to use the buttons on the SpacePilot in Maya, too.

Steffen
canphaz

Updates

Post by canphaz »

Hello everyone,

First of all, let me say how wonderful your devices are!
Truly aiding in digital design =)

Second, i would like to ask when we can expect updates for the SpaceNavigator for Mac OSX.
I really love my spacenav, but i miss the support in Google Earth, Cinema 4D, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Ralph
kitewinds

Post by kitewinds »

I love this device too!

Quite nice design actually!

I made the "buy decision" (versus the Logitech) based on the well shaped USB-plug and the lovely underside. Normally all my well designed peripherals works well, and the ugly ones use to give up on me.
Level of care for the product normally shows in the care for details. :)
Thats the reason I'm on a Macbook Pro.

I did realize after using it at my university with Rhino (via Boot Camp) that I wanted more buttons, and that I would prefer to push them more downwards than is possible with it in the current version.

I might get a SpaceExplorer for my 3D modeling just for the button setup as I will get a Solidworks license later this year @ work.

Now I just wait for compatibility with Google Earth in OS X 8)
Is there any 3DC programmers reading this I would like to ask for a temporary driver for GE trough ControllerMate! (or similar).
I guess a skilled programmer can make a cmate file in just a few hours for us to play with until proper support is added?
Just a suggestion :)

I did try myself, but it didn't work at all :D :roll:
znissan
User
User

Post by znissan »

Hello all:

We appreciate all of your comments, so please keep them coming!

Google Earth is coming in the next couple of months -- it's good to see that our customers (and potential customers ;) ) are as eager to have it out there as we are.

As for Cinema4D, I have contacted a couple of programmers over at Maxon, as the Windows version is also already native, so hopefully that will move along in the near future -- an email to them wouldn't hurt, if you have the time.... :)

Ziva Nissan
3Dconnexion, Inc.
rwc101010

Post by rwc101010 »

Still a couple of months for Google Earth support? What's the hold up?

It was "a couple of months" more than a month ago . . . any status?
znissan
User
User

Post by znissan »

Hi rwc101010:

The current outlook is mid-April. Sincere apologies for the wait -- we're of course happy to hear that you all want to get your hands on this, and I can assure you it will be worth the wait.

If there is further update, we will post as soon as possible.

Ziva Nissan
3Dconnexion, Inc.
S1G

Bait & Switch

Post by S1G »

I saw SpaceNavigator PE at Macworld controlling Google Earth,
- it worked,
- I was impressed,
- I ordered one.
Now I have the coolest looking glow-in-the dark paper weight, but it just sits there holding down the $59 receipt from Amazon.
I don't need it for ANYTHING ELSE but GOOGLE EARTH.

What's wrong with the Mac software that was shown at Macworld?
Why can't we download and use that software until the next release?

Here are some ideas for "keywords" for my comments:
- Deceptive marketing
- Not ready for Mac
- Misleading Consumers
- Bait and Switch
- Glow-in-the dark paper weight
- www.ftc.gov

So disappointing.
SafetyOne Group
rwc101010

Post by rwc101010 »

Welcome to the club . . . :(
S1G

RETUNING it to Amazon.com

Post by S1G »

Amazon is letting me return it. Not sure if I'll get one again.

So sad, looked like fun too.
SafetyOne Group
canphaz

Post by canphaz »

Months? :(
Can't the driver be released in other beta phases?
Like..:
- v0.2 (support for Google Earth, shouldnt be that hard if it was running at MacWorld)
- v0.3 (support for ....?)
- etc
rwc101010

Post by rwc101010 »

My guess is that they have no one working on it, as there has been ZERO updates since the original beta drivers were released around the time of Macworld (early January).

I hope I'm wrong . . . but their release schedule make little sense, and leaves little other room for interpretation. Unfortunately, the official response is "a few more months" before a demonstrated feature is available . . .
canphaz

Post by canphaz »

Yes i agree.. I feel the OSX Users are not taken seriously, even though most of the professional Graphics people are on Mac OSX..

I guess the Windows users are more important as windows is generally more accepted and adopted... =/

What I really don't understand is why we can't have the beta- or even alpha-drivers that were used on Macworld.. i don't care if it's Beta.. it's better than Nada.
rwc101010

Post by rwc101010 »

Could not agree more! To date that question has been ignored by representatives of 3DConnexion, and I've even been mildly flamed in this forum for asking such questions.

I would encourage others in the forum who feel the same way to voice their questions rather than remain silent . . . maybe we'll get an official response if enough Mac users speak-up.

Here's to wishing!
ettore

Post by ettore »

canphaz wrote:Yes i agree.. I feel the OSX Users are not taken seriously, even though most of the professional Graphics people are on Mac OSX..

I guess the Windows users are more important as windows is generally more accepted and adopted... =/
Hi
I am a Macintosh engineer here at 3Dx and I can assure you, OS X users are and will be taken just as seriously as the Windows users here, at least as long as I am working here. :wink:
Please understand we just started supporting the Mac... so don't worry, the Mac is here to stay.
canphaz wrote:What I really don't understand is why we can't have the beta- or even alpha-drivers that were used on Macworld.. i don't care if it's Beta.. it's better than Nada.
The thing is that we work with 3rd parties, and sometimes we can't just release all the betas that we would like to release. Anyway, if you saw GE at Macworld, well, that should tell you that Mac support is a little bit more than just a hope. :wink: