3ds Max 'center of rotation' with this new driver

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

wdc600

Post by wdc600 »

hi Tehrasha,

THX!! hope this version includes the max2011 plugin if not i will install the 2010 manually for max2011.
ngomes

Re: Relief

Post by ngomes »

Hi mbronto,
The only new problem I see is that choosing the COR with the middle mouse button seems to be much harder to do now (or much less sensitive?). I have to press and hold the middle mouse all over the area I want it to place the blue cross on and I have to be quite persistent to get it to stick.
This issue has been confirmed in Beta 1. The fix will be available in the final release.

Thanks for reporting this to us.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi mbronto
When I tilt above the horizon line, it still keeps changing the direction of roll on me. So unfortunately, I'm back to square one....
Can you elaborate a bit more on this issue?

The behaviour of the "spin" axis when an object is flipped has not changed in this or the previous release. Can you tell us what was the behaviour that you expected?
katho3d

Post by katho3d »

Hello,
here is my feedback about the new driver:

First of all, the new "auto center of rotation" feature may me helpful in many cases, also the possibility to set the rotation point manually (middle mouse button) is a great addition.
But the downside here is the speed, in heavy scenes this new algorithm reduces the frame rate and viewport reaction dramatically. If I set to manual mode, I need more clicks and if there are only very thin objects in the scene, this could be very annoying.
So, this all works great in Sketchup for instance, but 3ds max is a much more complex app and here we need the proven "center of selection" mode to get the maximum viewport speed.
I think a new driver should make things easier and speed up the workflow, not the other way around.

Thanks
wdc600

Post by wdc600 »

hi katho3d

you are completely right. we need the proven "center of SELECTION" mode still available in max -> now and for future gen. max versions. any other algorithm should be a additional alternative solution if the proven doesn´t work properly.

there are many clicks to this forum post i think we are not alone and a lot of users have not tried the new driver gen or others maybe don´t work with high complex scenes.

i have tried the driver v3-10-1_r852 but there is no adobe CS5 and max2011 support.

ngomes is there an option to download the beta driver after v3-10-1_r852 that worked for max2011 and CS5?

thx!
mbonk

Post by mbonk »

katho3d wrote:... we need the proven "center of selection" mode to get the maximum viewport speed
Hi Katho3d,

with "maximum viewport speed" do you mean workflow or frame rate?
I can imagine that the initial movement start might suffer, but why the frame rate whilst moving is affected is either a bug or something is happening which we have not thought of...

Markus
katho3d

Post by katho3d »

Hello Markus,
with "maximum viewport speed" do you mean workflow or frame rate?
Both, with automatic mode the framerate is very low, especially while playback an animated scene. We often have to deal with massive CAD data, very complex scenes with >10 million polys.
And the manual mode completely changes the workflow, much more clicks etc.
I can imagine that the initial movement start might suffer, but why the frame rate whilst moving is affected is either a bug or something is happening which we have not thought of...
Exactly thats a big problem too, if the viewport doesn´t react instantly (or nearly instantly), objects could be accidently out of focus.
The new driver makes it really hard to work with the 3d device, the old center of selection mode should be at least available optionally. Would be very helpful.

Thanks
Solidmind

Post by Solidmind »

GAAAAAH this is driving me insane!!! All we ask is to reinsert the original rotate around selection, then by all means experiment with what ever auto stuff you want! I´m sure you can pick some code lines from the beta that worked some time ago...
This is seriously affecting my productivity in a BAD way!
SkyWay

Post by SkyWay »

Hi there, first post and all that.

I'd like to join the ranks of people who find this "upgrade" a pain in the ass. It's, in a word, crap. The beta drivers with the target camera did nothing to the problem, the center detection is still too shaky to be useful.

Just give us the old system back, where the COR is the selection. Why did you have to break a working system I wonder? I have to use these new drivers at work because the old drivers don't work with Max 2011, at home I have Max 2009 which has the old drivers and they work so wonderfully that I can't wait to go back home to get some modeling done without getting pissed off constantly.

I'm using the SpaceNavigator PRO.
SkyWay

Post by SkyWay »

No editbutton here apparently...I also have the same FPS problem, the view is very laggy most of the time and I do not have a lot of stuff on it, barely 2000 polys and there's a highend ATI running it...

Please please please make the old system available for newer programs... this is so frustrating.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

3Dconnexion posted today Beta 2 for Release 3.12. The bew build includes improvements to the 3ds Max solution:
  • New "Use Select Item" option for the I3DN feature;
  • Stability improvements in 3ds Max add-in.
Beta software from 3Dconnexion is available from the 3DxLabs web page.

Max user have now finer-grained control on how the Intelligent 3D Navigation (I3DN) feature operates as the "auto" option can be set independently from the selection filter.

If both "Auto" and "Use Selected Item" are enabled, the "Auto" algorithm applies only to the selected set of 3D geometry (non-selected geometry becomes "invisible" to the algorithm).

If "Auto" is disabled and "Use Selected Item" is enabled, the rotation center is set to the center of volume of the selected object. If more than one object is selected, the rotation center is set to the centroid of the selected set.

We'd like thank those of you that contributed improvement suggestions and comments. Your feedback is very much appreciated by our engineering team and we're looking forward to hearing your comments regarding Beta 2.

Only the 3ds Max solution is changed in Beta 2. No other component software has been updated.
digitalx3d

Post by digitalx3d »

Aye....
This newest beta now crashes max2011 during startup. On Vista64. Anyone else having this problem?
John Pruden
www.digitalxmodels.com
3D Model Marketplace
wdc600

Post by wdc600 »

hi

have installed the 3.12 beta two without any probs (even the driver cleared my manually installed 2010 driver for max 2011). no crash on startup running win7 x64.

i worked a bit with the new driver, doing some 3d electronic wiring for my complex digital prototype with 3000 objects and 2,8Mio polys in it. creating the cables i find that no trouble by switching to "center of selection mode".

i really like the new version but still dont know what the target cam mode is for. object mode with flipped axes = target cam mode?

thx a lot for coorporation!!
SkyWay

Post by SkyWay »

Just installed and tested and it works! I felt so relieved to see the center not flying all around the place. Thank you for this fix.
mbonk

Post by mbonk »

digitalx3d wrote:Aye....
This newest beta now crashes max2011 during startup. On Vista64. Anyone else having this problem?
Max ought to generate a crash dump. Can you send that to me?