Google Sketchup plugin for Navigator PE

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

chuck 2.0

Google Sketchup plugin for Navigator PE

Post by chuck 2.0 »

Can Anyone direct me to the download site for Google Sketchup? I have Space Navigator PE, and the demo video mentions a plugin, but I can't find it on the company site, nor Google Sketchup site.
Or is there some setting in the 3D Control Panel or Sketchip itself that I am missing?
Thank you in advance.

chuck 2.0
Flying is the Safest Way to Fly
znissan
User
User

Post by znissan »

Hi Chuck:

The plug-in for SketchUp is included within the 3DxSoftware package that you can download from our website. Just visit www.3dconnexion.com and go to Support --> Driver Downloads, select your product and OS and then 3DxSoftware. 3DxSoftware automatically configures and installs for supported applications along with the device driver.

If you have already downloaded and installed the software and are not working in SketchUp, shut down SketchUp and try running the Update Wizard by opening the 3Dconnexion Control Panel and selecting Tools --> Update Wizard.

Ziva Nissan
3Dconnexion, Inc.
Fred

Post by Fred »

One more thing to check.
In Sketchup
click on Windows
Preferences
Extensions
Make sure 3dxsketchup is checked.
grayson

Post by grayson »

I'm having the same problem. Have tried everything. Can't understand why this is such a problem. Seems there are TONS of reports online of this problem, but NO solutions I can find. Can someone please help with this???

my system....
• WinXPproSP3
• SketchUp 8
• 3Dconnexion release version 3.11.3
• 3Dconnexion driver version 6.11.1
• SpaceNavigator firmware version 3.18

In SketchUp, I can find no "3dxsketchup" option in the Windows/Preferences/Extensions screen. I do see "Ruby Script Examples" there, and I've enabled it (per a suggestion in another thread) and then closed SketchUp, re-run the 3Dconnexion Update Wizard, then re-opened SketchUp, but still no 3Dconnection functionality, and still no "3dxsketchup" option in the Extensions screen. Seriously, what gives?? I use my SpaceNavigator just fine in lots of other software (Google Earth, Autodesk Inventor, Altium Designer, etc, etc). What's the deal with support for Google SketchUp???
Bryan

Sketchup 8 Beta

Post by Bryan »

Dear grayson,

Sketchup 8 is not supported yet. However there is a Beta available in 3DxLabs if you would like to experiment with that. Under the 'Supported Software' menu on www.3dconnexion.com, you will find a link for 3DxLabs on the right side of the page. The link will bring up table for links to the Beta. Choose the one that matches your device and operating system. (32bit versus 64bit, PRO versus our other current devices.) You would want to uninstall your previous version in the Windows Add and Remove Programs and when you install select a complete installation and to have the drivers start automatically. The Help Desk will not be able to give help with this Beta, but you may post your results on the Forum.

Sincerely,
Bryan
The more things change, the more they remain the same. ; ^ )
grayson

Re: Sketchup 8 Beta

Post by grayson »

Bryan wrote:Sketchup 8 is not supported yet. However there is a Beta available in 3DxLabs if you would like to experiment with that....
That did it. Thanks Bryan!
grayson

Post by grayson »

Actually, I'd like to report one significant issue with the beta software's compatibility with SketchUp: It doesn't allow full 6-degrees-of-freedom control. Specifically, the vertical axis is fixed vertical when using my SpaceNavigator. Note that the vertical axis is also fixed vertical by default when using the mouse center button to move camera position around too, but that restriction is easily lifted by holding the Ctrl key while using the mouse center button. When using the SpaceNavigator, however, I have no ability to change the z-axis (or to "roll" the camera) regardless of whether I hold the Ctrl key down or not.

For what it's worth, I consider the need to hold the Ctrl key down as a nuisance when using my mouse to move my view around. When you implement a fix in the 3Dconnexion software for this limitation, I really think it'd be far better to allow full 6DOF control by default, *without* requiring the user to hold down a key.
zzz2496

Post by zzz2496 »

grayson wrote:Actually, I'd like to report one significant issue with the beta software's compatibility with SketchUp: It doesn't allow full 6-degrees-of-freedom control. Specifically, the vertical axis is fixed vertical when using my SpaceNavigator. Note that the vertical axis is also fixed vertical by default when using the mouse center button to move camera position around too, but that restriction is easily lifted by holding the Ctrl key while using the mouse center button. When using the SpaceNavigator, however, I have no ability to change the z-axis (or to "roll" the camera) regardless of whether I hold the Ctrl key down or not.

For what it's worth, I consider the need to hold the Ctrl key down as a nuisance when using my mouse to move my view around. When you implement a fix in the 3Dconnexion software for this limitation, I really think it'd be far better to allow full 6DOF control by default, *without* requiring the user to hold down a key.
Hi grayson, I just got my SpacePilot PRO yesterday, and I use Google SketchUp too. I don't know where the menu is in Google SketchUp 8 (I use version 8), but in 3Dconnexion Control Panel, I got the "Menu" button on "Popup Menu". I suppose you can configure your device as such. Once you done that, in SketchUp - press that "Popup Menu" button, it will show a contextual menu that has "Lock Horizon" checked - Uncheck it !!!
That will give you complete 6DoF you've always wanted...

zzz2496
grayson

Post by grayson »

zzz2496 wrote:....in 3Dconnexion Control Panel, I got the "Menu" button on "Popup Menu". I suppose you can configure your device as such. Once you done that, in SketchUp - press that "Popup Menu" button, it will show a contextual menu that has "Lock Horizon" checked - Uncheck it !!!
That will give you complete 6DoF you've always wanted....
That did it! Sweetness! Thanks zzz2496!
zzz2496

Post by zzz2496 »

You're welcome, grayson... :)

zzz2496