SpaceNavigator controlling Robots (Pan Tilt Camera Movement)

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

Do you want this toy?

Yes - For free
50%
Yes - Will pay $500
33%
No - I dont need it
17%
No - I want other options
No votes

Total votes: 6

Dwabble

Post by Dwabble »

alexus wrote:... US law says I can do any action to protect my personal propery. ...
I'm guessing you aren't a lawyer then :)

Incidentally, when I commented I commented from the view of US law since you are obviously in the US, I would never project local law on other countries, and as for the EU, the EU has only a very limited (relatively) number of laws and guidelines that are valid in all of the EU, most laws are left to individual countries and differ a lot sometimes.

And I might point out that the US also signed to some internationally binding rules, although many americans (and it seems to me all texans) don't seem aware of that.

But all that is a different discussion not suited for this forum of course, and you are right about the cameras in the US, as we all know google did their streetview thing and did run in some objections, but mostly managed to get away with it in the US, but those are of course static shots and they aren't allowed to show numberplates I think, not sure about all the details, there are restrictions though to that too.
alexus

Post by alexus »

well actually I have bar sertification ;-) and i advice quite anumber of companies on security.

As to Europian laws, there was the case in UK whrere gov installed pan tilt cameras that could possibly look at resedential windows, case ended up as supreme law to not allow secyrity cameras to directly look at the resedential windows... => pan tilt cameras can still operate as long as they look at something else most of the time, and fixed cameras had to black out the windows
Long Range Communications, Inc
If you think it is impossible to be done, please don’t bother those who are already doing it…
alexus

Post by alexus »

ok enough oon laws... or i will have to pul my reference books.

I have updated my project to include many more functionalities, now my board can sesnse the temperature, light intencity + remote controll
+ static knobs that can fix camera position.

Final functionalityis to use remote to open door, sense the remote code and record the snap shot of the person who is opening door, + obviously the access loog stored in the DB

jee I wondering what it has to do with the 3d connexion ;-)
If you think it is impossible to be done, please don’t bother those who are already doing it…
Dwabble

Post by Dwabble »

alexus wrote:well actually I have bar sertification ;-) and i advice quite anumber of companies on security.
I'm trying to be pleasant and let things slip, but you are pushing it, please limit your fibs to the somewhat plausible, TIA.
alexus

Post by alexus »

i wasnt the one who started legal discusion here :P
jwick

Post by jwick »

Don't make me separate you two to opposite corners of the classroom.

Please keep your discussions on our forum to 3Dx related topics.
alexus

Post by alexus »

oki jwick :lol:
Dwabble

Post by Dwabble »

;)
loresfx

Post by loresfx »

Wow that is incredible!

Instead of controlling cameras how about adjusting the controls to work for a multicopter?

The way i use the 3Dconnection at home is purely flying through 3D space in 3DSMAX. Its essential for my work establishing cameras.

I've been getting into quadcopters for areal photography purposes and one of the challenges is controlling the copter to establish the camera and get a clean movement. This is easy to control cameras in a 3D tool like max but what about reallife?! For those who dont know what Multicopters are here is a video link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUINmOQv2QU

It looks like its very possible it just needs 4 channels to be able to fly fully with the 3Dconnection.

Any thoughts?
alexus

Post by alexus »

i'm building quad or dual copter for arial surveillance.
I think I can integrate space navigator as joystick problem for it is that you need deck :)
Right now my project us touch screen + android phone
jwick

Post by jwick »

alexus

Post by alexus »

nice :) well tuned .. even better then my camera controll
loresfx

Post by loresfx »

Thats an awesome demo!

Can those channels be translated into a 2.4ghz transmitter? If so then that would be huge. It'll only open doors to a giant community of RC enthusiasts.
bashotokoro

Post by bashotokoro »

i have a school project where i need to navigate a robot arm using 3DConnexion Space Navigator. before that i need to make all the programming on Windows OS. it is really hard to find the reference programming on Windows, all i found are on Linux :(
jwick

Post by jwick »

Send a support request to apisupport-win at 3dconnexion dot com. We will send you the latest Windows SDK.