help my space navigator has a skin disease....... serious!

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

wavemaster

help my space navigator has a skin disease....... serious!

Post by wavemaster »

My space navigator is 2-3 years old and the black rubbery material has become kind of sticky and is shedding its outer skin.

It looks and feels gross, I am concerned about the hygiene of this thing.

What is going on?
Barbara

Post by Barbara »

Hello wavemaster -

The Space Navigator has a 2 year hardware warranty. For a problem with the surface of a Space Navigator that is still under warranty you would need to contact our Technical Support

If it is instead something external adhering to the surface, it can be carefully cleaned as you would clean the exterior of any electronic device.
-------------
Barbara
wavemaster

Post by wavemaster »

I tried to scrape away some of the sticky gooey stuff. Underneath I find the hard plastic slick surface of the main part.

It appears the rubbery stuff is coming off.

I am out of warranty.
Loki

Post by Loki »

I have a chair that is like that, the armrests specifically which are rarely used but de-laminate over time anyways. The comfort of this chair is the best I've ever owned, so much so that I went through the trouble of tracking down the maker to special order replacements lol. Even though it was out of a little over a year past it's warranty expiration date, they shipped them to me completely for free. These are the kinds of businesses which are really worth supporting and recommending.

Unfortunately that's the thing with most products nowadays. They're all designed to last just a bit past their warranty period. Companies test everything they sell and have a pretty good idea how long each of their products will last under typical usage. Your only options will be to clean it carefully, as in the case of goo build up from your hands, or to replace the rubber piece yourself. You could get someone to lathe a bit of wood (or do it yourself), then wrap foam around that. Insulating pipe foam from the local plumbing depot, similar to the foam grips you can purchase for bicycles, might be one option. I haven't received mine yet (just a few more days!) so I have no idea if this is even possible.

The third option, and the one businesses certainly like the most, is for people to just go out and buy a new one. This is the joy of living in a wasteful world where everything we create is disposable. This is also why I created a small side fund and put a little money into it every month. It inexpensive and builds up faster than you'd think, obviously very useful whenever an emergency comes along.
Loki

Post by Loki »

I continued thinking about this after I posted and realized that instead of wood, get someone to machine lathe an aluminum knob, or brass if you want to give it more weight. It should be easier to clean because you won't need foam, plus it would probably look pretty good if polished or anodized. I had someone do this for a pair of speakers which only came with four floor pads when they really needed eight to prevent damage to wooden flooring. Didn't cost me a dime in my case and they came out perfect.
wavemaster

Post by wavemaster »

The thing with a chair is you can sit on it but don't have to touch it.

The know feels gooey, and I am wondering what kind of bugs live on there and if they are bad for my health.

3Dconnexion has shown little interest in this issue.
Loki

Post by Loki »

What kind of environment do you live in? Warm, cold, dry, wet, etc. If it's warm and humid in your home, that can definitely wreak havoc with certain types of synthetics and glues. The oily residue from your hand can be pretty acidic too, especially when it builds up over time on the device your using. It would probably be wise to clean the knob once per week with a very gentle soap diluted in warm (not hot) water. Even though I do clean them, my mice never last more than six months because of my clammy hands lol. Hopefully someone who knows more about these products will respond to your questions. I wouldn't mind knowing if there are any nasty chemicals which might be leeching in through my skin as well actually.
Fred

Post by Fred »

If the device was in warranty we would have replaced it.

Sorry I dont have info regarding chemicals but i can offer a suggestion.

Clean the knob with a Clorox toulette let it dry.
After words i would try using a fine sand paper gently remove any of goey remnants.

The hardware stores sell (Plasti Dip synthetic rubber) This is used to coat screwdriver handles in a rubber base to make it easier to grip.

You would have to carefully dip the puck in the Plasti dip or brush it on (dont put too much on or overdip). otherwise it will change the calibration.

After it dries you'll have a red, or orange cap instead of Black not sure if it comes in different color choices.

Next plug in the device start the driver
Open the 3DControl panel
calibrate.
Test the device.
Last edited by Fred on Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Loki

Post by Loki »

Fred wrote:The hardware stores sell (Plasti Dip synthetic rubber) This is used to coat screwdriver handles in a rubber base to make it easier to grip.

After it dries you'll have a red, or orange cap instead of Black not sure if it comes in different color choices.
Now that is a great idea and I'm jealous I didn't think of it lol. As for getting a specific color, one could always mix them together. Not sure if it would just be more economical to buy a new 3dx (or used if anyone is selling theirs). I suppose it might be possible to add a dye as well, but I'm not sure which one would be appropriate so that it didn't change the chemical rubber characteristics too much.
redrumz

Re: help my space navigator has a skin disease....... seriou

Post by redrumz »

This happened to my space navigator too, just discovered it. So I guess I will try the sandpaper idea, or wrap some tape around or something, but really, this is a design/manufacturing flaw. The rubber shouldn't be deteriorating and "melting" like that.

I don't even use it that frequently, so perhaps it couldn't handle the hot summer. At first I thought I was leaving sticky food on there, tried to wipe off with a tissue - bad idea. Tissue fragments quickly glued themselves to the space navigator. It's not a situation you expect from your peripheral input devices.
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

redrumz wrote:..., but really, this is a design/manufacturing flaw. The rubber shouldn't be deteriorating and "melting" like that.
Sorry if you have one of those devices. We have changed the coating more than five years ago. Since then the quality is fine.
zazz

Post by zazz »

I had the same problem. By device is bought 2014 and the surface was like a sticky slime, I cleaned is of with some paint removal formula successfully, but it looks like sh_t after that. From the beginning, most of the buttons got stuck and the device has being laying in the drawer most of the times. SURLY it is a flawed design, don't say anything else. If I my designs would be of such sub quality, I would be out of business long time ago.....
redrumz

Post by redrumz »

Old thread, I'd forgotten about this issue! I posted above that I had sticky rubber issues. I ended up fixing it with sandpaper - very fine sandpaper lightly applied and it came good, no problems since.
Nik_2213

Post by Nik_2213 »

Thank you for this information.

I bought my 'Space Navigator Personal' back in 2007, but my old lap-top was too under-powered to run its support software. I put the 'Navigator' back in its box, misplaced it...

Recently, it surfaced during house-move. Yes, the unused but stale ring is *tacky*. The buzzy 'stiction' feels like old model train rails' 12 VDC, which is so weird !!

Nice to know there's a fix or two available when the rubber perishes...

A decade after a storm's 'brown-out' trashed my CAD Tower and Browser PCs, also damaging my slide-mount back-up drives, I'm belatedly returning to CAD & 3D. I've just about completed a new 'CAD Tower' build --8-core CPU, 32 GB RAM, twin dual-DVI 2GB graphics cards, 3 x 21" wide-screens. It will run recent versions of TurboCAD Pro & Poser Pro, both supported by 3Dconnexion...

Hopefully the 'Navigator' will complement my new, wired track-ball. Similar in size and style to the classic L-design, it feels more precise and has less latency than their shrunken wireless model...
Dschulz

Post by Dschulz »

Img?