QTVR not working for me...

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

tvalleau

Post by tvalleau »

Thanks... I was beginning to feel like the Lone Ranger... :-)
ettore

Post by ettore »

Thanks Tia and Pres for your help. Until we find a solution, please use the workarounds explained above.

Anyone who experiences the same problem: don't hesitate to report it here.
tvalleau

Post by tvalleau »

Well, having found the problem (one third-party company's particular cubic panoramas) wouldn't the solution as far as you're concerned be to use a different panorama as your demo?

And, if you're feeling generous, point out to them that they've doing something wrong in the setup of their cubics that they are doing right in their standard panoramas?

(& who's "Tia"? :-)
ettore

Post by ettore »

tvalleau wrote:Well, having found the problem (one third-party company's particular cubic panoramas) wouldn't the solution as far as you're concerned be to use a different panorama as your demo?/
well, if the problem exists on one file, it could exist on other files. So, from my point of view it's a bigger problem.
tvalleau wrote:(& who's "Tia"? :-)
LOL
I thought you signed yourself as such in your first post -- I now realize :oops: it wasn't a signature, but an acronym. (Damn acronyms!!!! :lol: )
tvalleau

Post by tvalleau »

OK... I'll let this go shortly... but I'm offering this from the perspective of a commercial programmer with 30 years of experience: it's not "one" file... it's -all the files of one particular type of file from one particular vendor.-

Panoramas can be stitched together from a multitude of photos, taken from the "hub of a wheel" - like the spokes looking outward. (These are called "cylinder" panoramas.) visit www.panoguide.com/howto/panoramas/types.jsp to see the common types.

They can also be created from the "center of a box", with the camera shooting each of the 6 "sides."

This latter is called a "cubic" panorama. The company involved produces software that creates panoramas from both types of original data.

QuickTime specifies what flags must be set for a given panorama to function.

The company, www.pano2qtvr.com, appears to have gotten the setup of those flags correct on their "cylinder" panoramas, but incorrect on their "cubic" panoramas.

Why? Because -every single cubic panorama on their site- exhibits the incorrect behavior, and and every single cylinder panorama works correctly.

I suppose that it's possible that it's something you're doing, but then why do cubic panoramas from -other- companies work just fine with your product?

All the above leads me to believe it's an isolated incident, peculiar to the software from pano2qtvr, and then only with cubic panoramas.

(And yes, I went ahead and reported it to them.)
David Boulder

Another QTVR issue

Post by David Boulder »

I had similar issue as others to the Demo movie but seems that has been addressed pretty well.

My issue was with my g4 powerbook when I tried to use the Space Navigator at home.

Same OS, version of QT and QTVR movie as my Intel mac at work.
(10.4.9; 7.1.3) QTVR made with PTMac and with CubicConverter.

On the powerbook when I start to rotate or tilt, it spins on its own even after I let go of the space Navigator. If I turn it the other way just right it will stop, but if I hold it to long it spins the other way. The Demos (outside of QTVR) work fine on the powerbook, as does SketchUp.

My guess is this is an issue with non-intal macs. It works on my Intel imac and my Intel MacPro.

Has anyone used Mac QTVR on pre-intel computer successfully.
ralfy

Post by ralfy »

I received my SN today and I also have the problem with the QTVR demo. I only have the standard version of QT so I am unable to save any QTVR movies from the web to test in QT Player as has been suggested.

Does anyone know where I can get a QTVR movie to test?

My other query is does the SN work on QTVR movies embedded in web pages?
ettore

Post by ettore »

ralfy wrote:I received my SN today and I also have the problem with the QTVR demo. I only have the standard version of QT so I am unable to save any QTVR movies from the web to test in QT Player as has been suggested.
The usual question: which versions do you have for:
3Dconnexion driver (System Prefs --> 3Dconnexion pane)
QuickTime?
3DxQuickTime component (see /Library/QuickTime/3DxQuickTime.component --> Get Info)
You probably already have the latest versions, but I have to make sure.
ralfy wrote:Does anyone know where I can get a QTVR movie to test?
http://stream.uen.org/medsol/digvid/htm ... ovies.html
To download the movie: from Safari menubar, enable View->Show Address Bar in the window that pops up, then copy the address and paste (or drag it) it in the download window (Window->Downloads)
ralfy wrote:My other query is does the SN work on QTVR movies embedded in web pages?
Unfortunately not. QTVR support is only inside the QuickTime Player app.
ettore pasquini
software engineer
3Dconnexion, inc.
ralfy

Post by ralfy »

These are the versions I have:

3Dconnexion driver - 1.2
QuickTime - 7.1.6
3DxQuickTime component - 1.0.3

I have downloaded a few QTVR movies and they work ok as described above, but I still can't use the movie when opened from the demo.
cj

Post by cj »

Not working for me.

Mac OS X 10.6.8
3Dconnexion driver - latest (downloaded off website 3.7.2012)
Quicktime 7.1.6
#DxQuickTime component - 1.0.3
Barbara

Post by Barbara »

Hello cj -

There is a problem with the specific QTVR movie used in the demo. Is that where you are seeing it not working ?

If you open QuickTime Player and load a QTVR movie, does that work OK?

What we see here is that the demo movie fails to open but other QTVR files work properly with our devices.

If you need QTVR movies to try, you can download from some of the travel sites that have them available.
----------------
Barbara