Non-3D Software?

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

digital.ecologies

Non-3D Software?

Post by digital.ecologies »

What a great interface - I love the product that my wife got me. For 3D software its amazing. But why can't there be a local customization of the device for other simple software (e.g. Word, Safari, etc...)?

I know this isn't as simple as a mouse but assigning buttons, or basic feature sets like scrolling(!) should be pretty straight forward.

Otherwise, we'd need to wait for drivers to come out for every program...

or...why not just integrate the Logitech NuLOOQ navigator™ into this product since it already has Windows/Mac drivers for Microsoft (Office), Adobe (Photoshop CS2), and Apple (Final Cut Pro)! It would be well worth a price premium so as to avoid buying TWO of these devices to plug into one computer.

Logitech owns 3Dconnexion, after all...possible to share the same drivers? :shock:

Thoughts?
ettore

Re: Non-3D Software?

Post by ettore »

digital.ecologies wrote:I know this isn't as simple as a mouse but assigning buttons, or basic feature sets like scrolling(!) should be pretty straight forward.
You *can* assign the SpaceNav buttons to any app keystroke command:
- Open up our pref pane from System Preferences.
- Add the application for which you want to map the 2 SN buttons (Configure --> Add Application), e.g. Safari.
- click on the Buttons tab. Click on the "Custom Functions..." button. A sheet will come out and you will be able to create a macro with a sequence of keystrokes and/or text. Close the sheet when done.
- click on the drop-down menus "L" and "R" and select your new macro.

Assigning scroll or the cap movements is not possible.
digital.ecologies wrote:Otherwise, we'd need to wait for drivers to come out for every program...

or...why not just integrate the Logitech NuLOOQ navigator™ into this product since it already has Windows/Mac drivers for Microsoft (Office), Adobe (Photoshop CS2), and Apple (Final Cut Pro)! It would be well worth a price premium so as to avoid buying TWO of these devices to plug into one computer.

Logitech owns 3Dconnexion, after all...possible to share the same drivers? :shock:
Your opinions make sense. I'll relay them to our marketing dept.
weeper

Post by weeper »

it would be great if this could work with "Final Cut Pro" !!!

i don't want to buy another device just for video editing (im a student..so i can't afford it anyway :wink: )
jjannus

Post by jjannus »

[quote=Your opinions make sense. I'll relay them to our marketing dept.[/quote]

I would like to add my name to the request list for Final Cut Pro and possibly all other Apple Pro apps aswell!

J
ettore

Post by ettore »

jjannus wrote:I would like to add my name to the request list for Final Cut Pro and possibly all other Apple Pro apps aswell!

J
jjannus, weeper, I'm curious: how would you use the SN inside FCP?
weeper

Post by weeper »

ettore wrote:
jjannus wrote:I would like to add my name to the request list for Final Cut Pro and possibly all other Apple Pro apps aswell!

J
jjannus, weeper, I'm curious: how would you use the SN inside FCP?
i would like to use the left button for "set in-point" and the right button for "out-point"...or maybe for "1 frame forward/1 frame back"

and i want to use the left/right spin to scrub in the video timeline...

and sry for my bad english... :?
John the Geek

Post by John the Geek »

ettore wrote:Assigning scroll or the cap movements is not possible.
Change that. A lot of people seem to be asking for it. If there's no other function it should default to acting like a generic input device. At least then we'd have something other than a useless paperweight for 99.9999% of our software.

The cap does a lot of movements, you should be able to tell it to use mouse for X Y and perhaps some scrolling in there for the tilt.

Then it would be useful out of the box, with hope for more on the horizon. Right now it's a failure to me. I tested one so we could consider putting them in our computer lab here and now it's in a drawer. You failed to impress.
ettore

Post by ettore »

John the Geek wrote:
ettore wrote:Assigning scroll or the cap movements is not possible.
Change that. A lot of people seem to be asking for it. If there's no other function it should default to acting like a generic input device.
First of all, thank you for expressing this request. We are certainly considering all of your suggestions for future development of our software, and the more we receive, the more we'll be inclined to implement them.
John the Geek wrote:At least then we'd have something other than a useless paperweight for 99.9999% of our software.
The SN is a HID compliant device, and some people have used that interface to add support to other apps. For instance, have a look at these threads: link1 link2 link3

Other HID devices are typically joysticks, gamepads and the like. So, every application that allows that kind of interfaces will be able to make some use of our device, you will just have to find a way to configure it inside that particular app.

Please note that all the solutions or partial solutions I just mentioned involving 3rd parties software are not supported. (However you can still post a question here, someone may respond. ;-)) I am just mentioning them as possibilities for your particular problem. Officially only the solutions and applications mentioned in the following thread are supported (by us or third parties):

viewtopic.php?t=801
Last edited by ettore on Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ettore pasquini
software engineer
3Dconnexion, inc.
John the Geek

Post by John the Geek »

ettore wrote:Other HID devices are typically joysticks, gamepads and the like.
Ah, now that actually makes sense to me. The Space Navigator doesn't move your mouse around for the same reason that a joystick doesn't. I hadn't thought of a joystick as a HID, but rather more of a game-specific peripheral.

I still think that using it to move and scroll with standard mouse commands would be nice for the average app with no SN support so please pass that along if it's possible at all.

Thank you for addressing my comments.