Adjusting Zoom Speed in XSI

If you have questions or comments concerning any non-support related 3Dconnexion topic, please use this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

seamus

Adjusting Zoom Speed in XSI

Post by seamus »

I just recently bought a SpaceTraveller and am generally happy but have one major issue working inside my main application XSI.

I have a huge scene (Scalewise - not geometry) and the Zoom and pan speed are extremely slow.
I have maxed out both the overall speed and the Translation speed in the XSI control panel but it is still zooming at a snails pace.

Would it be possible to manually set the speed higher in the config?

Any help woul be much appreciated
jwick

Post by jwick »

Hi seamus,

If you are willing to do a little work you can change the values used in the scale sliders in the driver. This will scale up the values sent to XSI.

You can edit the configuration file that you use. Run XSI and hover over the 3Dx logo in the system tray. This will tell you the config file you are using. Probably something like user03.scg. If it is a userXX file, it is in %APPDATA%/3dconnexion/3dxware/profiles. If not it is under the driver directory in a language specific directory.

Edit that file with wordpad (make sure to save as Unicode).
Look for the following line:

SENSITIVITY_FACTORS = { 0.05, 0.10, 0.20, 0.30, 0.40, 0.50, 0.60, 0.70, 0.80, 0.90, 1.00, 2.00, 4.00 }

Each of these 13 values represents the scale factor used for the respective slider position in the GUI. This changes all sliders together. To make a modification, say, change the highest value from 4.00 used above to 40.00, just change the value, save the file and restart the driver. If you move any of the scale sliders all the way up, the data from the device will be multiplied by 40 instead of 4. Note that that would be a VERY large change from the tic before it, but you may want this just to move from one part of the scene to another.

Also note that too high of a scale factor could cause problems (overflow) inside the driver or application. Caveat emptor.

Jim
3Dx Software Development
seamus

Post by seamus »

Sorry for lateness in reply. lost internet :)

Thanks for the help. It definitely worked but unfortunately XSI's viewports all acted differently. But when I scaled down the scene it worked much better, so I solved that way.