SpacePilot Pro & Solidedge ST6 not working

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

jalcad

SpacePilot Pro & Solidedge ST6 not working

Post by jalcad »

When trying to use the Spacepilot Pro & editing a part while in the assembly you can't rotate the model properly using the latest SpacePilot driver (3.17.6).
ngomes

Re: SpacePilot Pro & Solidedge ST6 not working

Post by ngomes »

HI jalcad,
When trying to use the Spacepilot Pro & editing a part while in the assembly you can't rotate the model properly using the latest SpacePilot driver (3.17.6).
You're editing a part "in-place", right? How do you activate the "in-place" editing (right-click on part and select the option from the context menu)?

Can you try to reproduce the problem using one of the sample documents that are included in the ST6 installation folders? We know that some parts when edited "in-place" may have the origin quite far from the actual 3D geometry. Since the 3D mouse rotation centre will be set to the part's origin, you may have difficult controlling movement especially if zoomed up close to the geometry. Selecting a rotation (or using the "auto" option) ought to resolve that.
jalcad

Post by jalcad »

When I use one of the sample files they appear to move as expected in ST6. The only thing about your statement that the origin may be way out in space on parts that are being edited. I modeled the parts & the origin of the model is within the geometry & not out in space. I originally started the one I'm having issues with in ST5 & had no problems in rotating the models while editing them in the assembly. I've taken a video of the model with the origin turned on to show the kind of movement that I'm seeing before editing starts & during editing.

https://secure.logmein.com/f?00_GBrNXFe ... mJMfGmTIzn
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

I'm download the video now. Thanks for posting that.

Would it be possible for you to send an assembly document that we can use to reproduce the problem? If so, you may want to use a private message or e-mail if the document has information that cannot be shared publicly.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Just looked at the video. Before activating the in-place edit, the model moves clearly about the origin. After activating, it's not clear about what it is moving.

When checking rotation centre placement, I normally disable pan and zoom, leaving only the rotation active.

Is the issue where the rotation centre ends up after the in-place edit activation or is it something else (speed, axis orientation)? Can you reset the rotation centre to some other position?
jalcad

Post by jalcad »

ngomes wrote:Just looked at the video. Before activating the in-place edit, the model moves clearly about the origin. After activating, it's not clear about what it is moving.

When checking rotation centre placement, I normally disable pan and zoom, leaving only the rotation active.

Is the issue where the rotation centre ends up after the in-place edit activation or is it something else (speed, axis orientation)? Can you reset the rotation centre to some other position?
It's not an issue as to where it's rotating but not being able to have the free rotation to be able to see the ends of this particular part. It looks like it is stuck in the Y axis of being able to rotate when editing the part.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Thanks for sharing the documents, jalcad.

Please check if you have the "Keep in View" add-in setting enabled (go the command ribbon, click on the "Add Ins" tab and click "Properties..." on the "3Dcontrol" group). If the option is enabled, try disabling and it see if the issue is still reproducible.
jalcad

Post by jalcad »

That's what it was. Disabled it & now while editing it moves as expected.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

In the meantime, we managed to reproduce the problem using one of the samples that ship with ST6 (assembly "Grinder1.asm", in-place editing "plate1.par"). The problem should have been caught by 3Dconnexion when we qualified ST6 Beta.

Thanks for reporting the issue, jalcad, and for assisting us with the bug analysis.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

HI jalcad,

The problem has been confirmed as a bug in 3Dconnexion's add-in for Solid Edge. The issue is tracked with number 6524. I expect it to be resolved in the next 3DxSoftware update.

Again, thanks for your assistance in reproducing the problem.