Driving multiple executables with one configuration profile

Post questions, comments and feedback to our 3Dconnexion Windows Development Team.

Moderator: Moderators

KalleKoenig

Driving multiple executables with one configuration profile

Post by KalleKoenig »

Hi all,

we have an application that consists of multiple executables, some of them are 3dx Mouse aware. In particular, we still have 32bit executabels and 64bit executables representing the same part in our application and it might happen that the one or the other gets started. But there are also multiple 3D components that share tasks of displaying a model - depending on the view and users choice.

The outcome is, that all executables are recognized as single application - each gets a profile on its own. If the user configures something for one case and then another executable is used the next time, he won't see his configuration changes...

So here's my question: Is it possible to get the driver to recogonize multiple execuatables to belong to one profile?

I've scanned through the .cfg files and found some interesting traces that might help here: there is the <InheritsFrom> tag. If we could configure an inheritance scheme such that there is that base profile for our application, and for each executable, they only point to the base one, this would be fine.
But as soon as the user starts to adjust buttons, sensitivity, Zoom axis, this should also be written into the base profile instead of the single profiles...

I've tried to establish such an inheritance but I don't know what to enter instead of "STR_DEFAULT_S80" to point to the base configuration - application name? Filename? Configuration name (how to define)? Decorated with "STRT_"? I tried, but with now success.

Many questions...

Thanks for any answer!

Kalle
jwick

Re: Driving multiple executables with one configuration prof

Post by jwick »

You have different executables with different main windows all taking over seamlessly at different times during the user's workflow? Interesting architecture. Certainly nicely extensible.

This is something I didn't think of before. 3DxWare 6 allowed multiple exe names, but it was mostly for applications that put their versions in their executable names. E.g., Rhino3, Rhino4, Rhino5, SW32, SW64. These wouldn't be run concurrently and I'm not sure there would be an expectation that settings in one would be respected in the other.

Your scenario is a problem as you suggest. I do plan to allow multiple ExecutableName entries in Cfg files. I also plan on allowing more sophisticated use of InheritsFrom (it's a fixed number of hops now). The former will get done before the latter. I'll have to keep in mind your scenario when I do that. I think you just need the former.

A better approach is to not have the driver do anything for you but deliver device events. Have your application(s) do and save everything--your own GUI. Take the driver out of the picture. In fact that makes the most sense most of the time. For example, you are the only one who knows what valid commands buttons can execute in each of these executables.
KalleKoenig

Post by KalleKoenig »

Thanks for keeping our workflow in mind for further versions of the driver. I'm looking forward to a version that supports multiple executables for one profile. :)

We already considered to have a framing application catch all 3dxMouse events and transform them into internal messages that will passed to the application in focus. That might also be an option: Let only the framing application be aware of the 3dx Mouse. But for now, it is implemented differently, and thankfully, the forwarding of messages to the application in focus does seem to work quite well from your drivers side...
And the fact that it is already working quite well is also the reason, why we did not consider (yet) to take over the shortcut assignments that the driver already offers...

Cheers,
Kalle
jwick

Post by jwick »

Hi Kalle,

I know you thought I forgot about you. I didn't. Our next release will allowed you to specify multiple ExecutableName entries in a cfg file.
That cfg file will get used for all executables that are listed. When users make changes, their changes will apply to all the Executables listed in the original cfg file.

Sorry it took so long.
Robbischubser

Post by Robbischubser »

Hi,

do you care to give an example on how to use this feature? I could not spot a difference in the .xml's.
jwick

Post by jwick »

Code: Select all

<ExecutableName>first.exe</ExecutableName>
<ExecutableName>second.exe</ExecutableName>
Robbischubser

Post by Robbischubser »

Easy enough... Thank you!
jwick

Post by jwick »

Glad to help, but as I mentioned in the other thread, please contact us by email.