GE for Mac Support is here!

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

znissan
User
User

GE for Mac Support is here!

Post by znissan »

Hello Everyone:

Google has made available Google Earth 4.1 for download from earth.google.com, with added support for SpaceNavigator for Mac OS X! You can also read Frank Taylor's blog about it here http://gearthblog.com/.

We are excited to bring you this news, and we again thank you for your patience in waiting for the solution to be made available. Flying through and exploring the world in GE on both Windows and Mac is a fantastic experience -- enjoy!!

Please also update your 3DxMacWare driver to 1-2-0 available from our website, to also have the proper GE settings for our device.

All feedback continues to be welcome.

Ziva Nissan
3Dconnexion.com
blazouf

Post by blazouf »

Houuura !! Thanks !!! :D
seacrets

Post by seacrets »

Thank you Ziva!

Great News!!
amahler

Post by amahler »

Excellent! Nice to finally be playing with it in GE natively on OS X. :)

Do you have any suggested settings or changes to the defaults for the 1.2.0 driver's GE settings?

Any suggested settings for the left and right button? Be nice to have a one click reset of tilt or something similar.

Regarding the tilt, though. I find that I don't have much issue tilting from the default overhead view to a view similar to standing on the ground (by tilting the SN back). However, trying to reverse that and return to the overhead (looking straight down) view tends to not work well and I find that I'm just moving backwards laterally.

Is this a calibration or setting issue or am I just not doing something right?

Thanks!
- aaron
amahler

Post by amahler »

Hhhhmmm... to reply to my inquiry. Seems maybe I need to be more conscious of not only tilting forward or back, but applying a proper amount of lateral forward/back movement at the same time to compensate.

Just a tilt back or forward tends to create movement in that direction at the same time (though backward tilt still seems more reactive than forward tilt). Tilting back while pushing slightly forward laterally in the same motion has the effect of keeping me "pinned" a little better to the lateral position will achieving the goal of tiling the horizon line.

Does this sound correct?

- Aaron
EMoeller

Yippeeeee!

Post by EMoeller »

Thanks.....

Eric
jandevries

Post by jandevries »

Thanks, I use FormZ, photoshop CS3 extended and Google earth, you can stop now ;-)
maxscience

Post by maxscience »

jandevries wrote:Thanks, I use FormZ, photoshop CS3 extended and Google earth, you can stop now ;-)
Absolutely not! They should push forward! I want Final Cut Studio 2 compatibility next! :D
maxscience

Post by maxscience »

I tried the new GE with the 1.2.0 drivers, terribly fun and speedy to use google earth that way!
Google Earth crashed two times while using the spacenavigator (I have USB Overdrive and the Razer Pro driver installed, I'll test more to see if GE is more stable without those).

I also found that the spacenavigator preset for Google Earth was low on sensitivity, so I raised the "Overall Speed" setting. That Speed setting is the same on all apps under the Configure drop down menu... Ettore in the sticky posts says
Our 3DxMacWare v1.2.0 driver also installs a config specifically tailored for Google Earth.
Which settings are specifically tailored for Google Earth? It seems to me that it's a general preset applied to google earth so users can customize it...

Another thing I found, which is most likely a bug, is that the buttons settings applied to "Any Application" do not work when you're using Google Earth. To make the buttons work the only thing I can do is to reconfigure them in the GE preset (Configure: Google Earth).
podrick

Post by podrick »

Woo hoo! excellent news! :)
ettore

Post by ettore »

maxscience wrote:I also found that the spacenavigator preset for Google Earth was low on sensitivity, so I raised the "Overall Speed" setting. That Speed setting is the same on all apps under the Configure drop down menu... Ettore in the sticky posts says
Our 3DxMacWare v1.2.0 driver also installs a config specifically tailored for Google Earth.
Which settings are specifically tailored for Google Earth? It seems to me that it's a general preset applied to google earth so users can customize it...
You're spot on, maxscience: 3DxMacWare v1.2.0 just adds a "conservative" config for Google Earth to allow newbies to get used to the feeling. But it's there to be changed, as you see fit -- personally I agree with you, I have changed mine to overall maximum speed plus adjusted the individual axes a little bit (increased speed for Tilt and Pan R/L/U/D relative to the other axes) ... and yes, it's nice and fast that way ;-)
maxscience wrote:Another thing I found, which is most likely a bug, is that the buttons settings applied to "Any Application" do not work when you're using Google Earth. To make the buttons work the only thing I can do is to reconfigure them in the GE preset (Configure: Google Earth).
That's correct. For any app that you add, i.e. for any app that you have a specific config, its config settings rules over the "Any Application" settings. This is valid in general.
ettore pasquini
software engineer
3Dconnexion, inc.
John the Geek

Re: GE for Mac Support is here!

Post by John the Geek »

znissan wrote:... with added support for SpaceNavigator for Mac OS X!
Again?

Just kidding! This is a happy day. I get to pull it out of my drawer and try again. Wish me luck.

=)
seacrets

Post by seacrets »

maxscience wrote:Google Earth crashed two times while using the spacenavigator
It happens the same to me, sometimes. I have sent reports (at least I press a button which says SEND REPORT). But no other information is given. Let's assume someone will fix it.
tutt

Post by tutt »

After updating to GE 4.1 and 3DxMacWare v1.2.0, things are much faster and more fluid.

I am having one problem and don't know if it is a Space Navigator problem or a GE problem.

Without touching the Space Navigator it wants to slowly fall to earth. Similar to the old behavior when GE would slowly creep in the last direction given (before SN)

Anyone else experience this?

System: 15" Powerbook (Dual Layer SuperDrive, OCT. 2005), OSX 10.4.9, Bluetooth Keyboard, Kensington Expert Mouse, Wacom Intous 9X12.

(sorry bout that)
Last edited by tutt on Sat May 19, 2007 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
John the Geek

Post by John the Geek »

tutt wrote:Wacom Intous 39X12.
That is one halla-big tablet!

;)