CadMouse

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

ethanr

Re: CadMouse

Post by ethanr »

Question is does CADmouse have some 3Dconnection funcionality that we would be missing? Is it more then just a moue with some good button placement. The CADmouse itself has things that can't be replicated by 3D Unity I think

else points 1-4 seem right.
Not sure about the interference.
mdlp

Post by mdlp »

ethanr wrote:Question is does CADmouse have some 3Dconnection funcionality that we would be missing? Is it more then just a moue with some good button placement. The CADmouse itself has things that can't be replicated by 3D Unity I think

else points 1-4 seem right.
Not sure about the interference.
As I understand it. any special CadMouse functionality for Unitywould have to be set up through USBOverdrive--it wouldn't replicate official functions, just whatever USBOverdrive permits, although it seems to be user-configurable for specific applications. Mostly Cadmouse on a mac would just be a well-engineered mouse, since USBOverdrive could be used with other mice. More problematic is that Cadmouse functionality for an app like Maya, which would be supported for Windows, would also be unavailable on a Mac (except through UsbOverdrive again).

My concern about interference was based on 10dency's comment that his or her Space Pilot Pro stopped working after installing USB Overdrive.
10dency

Post by 10dency »

I just installed the latest driver 3DxWare 10 Version 10.2.3. I was happy to see, that now the CADmouse is supported on Mac OS X.

So I deactivated USB overdrive – and indeed my CADmous still worked. Wow … BUT: Well, it just works like a default mouse. You can left-click. You can right-click. You can-scroll. Forget about every other button using the current driver. You see many options – but none of those work.

Because of the new driver I took my once beloved Space Pilot out of the drawer, because it might not drive my 3D-app crazy anymore. And, lo and behold: it does not. Because it does nothing at all. Any setting I tried, any button I press – I have a lot of useless hardware here, using the default driver. It is a shame!

And it is really a big PITA. So still nothing has changed in the fact, that 3Dconnexion makes some of the best input-hardwares of the world but totally sucks on Mac OS.

I'll try some things such as repeatingly try different settings and restart the system again and again, as I really want to use the stuff. Maybe I eventually find a working solution by wasting my time again and again. But I lost my hope here …
10dency

Post by 10dency »

The new driver magically also destroyed my previously working set-up with USB overdrive. Middle Mouse Button and all other stuff beyond left-click/right-click/mouse-wheel isn't working anymore. Hopefully uninstalling all of that crappy driver-software will help. I hope so, because I'd love to further use the Cadmouse. But that nevertheless will render my Space Pilot Pro totally useless, because I found no way to set it up with USB Overdrive properly (which was not designed to support this sort of device anyway).

If not: We had a good time, 3dconnexion. Tomorrow I'll toss my Space Pilot and my Cad Mouse against a wall and film it, just to release my anger. Maybe then the hardware offers at least some viral advantage in social media. *sigh* #sad
ethanr

Post by ethanr »

I feel you pain and suffering.

My SpaceMouse sits there gleamingly - unused.
And the CadMouse was purchased and returned.

I really want them to work - is it that hard to make a driver ???
mdlp

Post by mdlp »

Thanks for sharing your experiences. I guess I will look elsewhere for a cad mouse.
ethanr

Post by ethanr »

is Cadmouse now fully supported in OS X ???
10dency

Post by 10dency »

ethanr wrote:is Cadmouse now fully supported in OS X ???
Yes, works for me now (Yosemite)! :-)
ethanr

Post by ethanr »

anyone using it with VectorWorks 2016 by any chance?
ethanr

Post by ethanr »

Well - i just got one .. and so far so good.

Really a nice feel; great button clicking; working well with VectorWorks.

futzing with controls for other programs
animationguy

Post by animationguy »

I bought a cad mouse mostly because of its dedicated middle mouse button. But I can't get it to work under Mac OS X! The mouse works fine except the middle mouse button. Which is really the most important feature for me for this mouse.

I am using OS X : 10.11.3 (the latest)
I also installed the latest driver 3DxWare 10 for OS X: 10.2.5

In the driver settings, I have the Middle Button mapped to "Click Button 3" but its not working. Its like its not recognizing the middle mouse button at all.

Even stranger: If I map the scroll wheel button to "Click Button 3" it actually works. So why can't the middle mouse button work if the scroll wheel can?

Please help, I want to use this mouse and not have to return it!
ethanr

Post by ethanr »

Hmm - I'm on the same set-up and it is working correctly for me.
animationguy

Post by animationguy »

wow, really? I wonder what is different in my case. Did it work for you with the default settings or did you have to configure something?
ethanr

Post by ethanr »

Default settings - but for some programs - like CAD - I had to add the program to the settings.

Under "Configure for Application"
Once it was there, it worked normally.

Sorry - but I'm not at my work computer for another 2 weeks.
i can check it out when i get back there and help.

E
hika

Post by hika »

Hi all...
Just got my CadMouse.
The basic buttons work.
How can i configure it to work with Vectorworks?
I want to configure the radial menu in a way that I can say: "Wireframe" "OpenGL" etc.