Button Mapping - 16 button events on Linux, but 29 on Win ?

Post questions, comments and feedback to our 3Dconnexion UNIX and Linux Development Team.

Moderator: Moderators

jjmcwill

Button Mapping - 16 button events on Linux, but 29 on Win ?

Post by jjmcwill »

I'm working on adding support to Altair HyperWorks for the current spaceball devices. I've already made contact with Ken Denton in Rochester Hills.

I started my development under windows, and saw that on the button mapping portion of the 3DConnexion panel, there were 29 virtual button events available. The user could map each physical button on the device to fire one of these virtual button events.

I liked the idea, and used the first 6 to support the standard Top, Left, Right, Front, Fit as well as a "Fit and show ISO View" function that is a standard function for us.

That accommodates all the standard preprinted buttons on the right side of the SpaceExplorer and SpacePilot.

Going further, I wanted to add some advanced functionality when button events 15-29 were received. I implemented some of this, and it worked very well under Windows.

Now that I have a Linux build working, I'm DISMAYED to see that the Linux 3DConnexion panel only supports up to Button 16. Why the discrepency between Windows and Unix?
Jeff McWilliams - jjmcwill@altair.com
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

This is an API question. Moving topic to the "Developer's Forum for UNIX/Linux."
Nuno Gomes
crobl

Post by crobl »

Hi jjmcwill,

I'm sorry, but this is a limitation our current driver. We consider this as an enhancement in future versions.
We track this internally as #4500. Please use this number for your reference.

Best regards,

Christian Robl

3Dconnexion