Motion Controller 3ds ax viewport - user - homegrid

If you have questions or comments concerning any non-support related 3Dconnexion topic, please use this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

GTWillemsen

Motion Controller 3ds ax viewport - user - homegrid

Post by GTWillemsen »

Using the motion controller in 3ds Max with a orthographic viewport, like Front and trying to to move with the motion controller, causes the viewport to switch to the userviewport.

This isn't a too big problem, but it uses the home-grid aswell.
So maybe it is an idea to either activate the same grid as the orthographic viewport (Front etc.) or making a (new 3Dx) grid object, which will be used as active grid for as long as this uservieport is used.

Maybe causes some problems integrating it nicely, without being confusing, but worth the effort I think?!?
mbonk

Re: Motion Controller 3ds ax viewport - user - homegrid

Post by mbonk »

GTWillemsen wrote: So maybe it is an idea to either activate the same grid as the orthographic viewport (Front etc.) or making a (new 3Dx) grid object, which will be used as active grid for as long as this uservieport is used.
From a user point of view how does one go about getting 3dstudio to use the same grid as an orthagional viewport in a user view?

Please correct me if I am wrong: creating a grid object appears to have a number of disadvantages: it seems to be visible in all views, it gets saved in the scene and it needs to be activated/deactivated.

This is a suggestion that is definitely worthy of further investigation.

Markus
GTWillemsen

Post by GTWillemsen »

Maybe it is possible to use (activate/deactivate?) the same grid as used in the viewports self?
From a user point of view how does one go about getting 3dstudio to use the same grid as an orthagional viewport in a user view?
From user pov are the grid's used for varies things, like modelling;
when creating or translating objects.
To translate objects, it is possible to snap to the grid, things are handled different when made on an other grid, since the local/base information is created in this case under a 90 degree angle.

When modelling, it is used as reference for measurement aswell.

So there is a differsity of functionality for using grid's as they are setup in the standard 3ds Max viewports. When using the buttons on the pilot, this is a disadvantage, so in circumstances you still need to use the keyboard or mouse to switch viewports. (And the limited number of keys on the controllers are always already filled with other functionality - else we can only use the pilot (or other) for viewport navigation and always need keyboard for everything else.)
mbonk wrote:
GTWillemsen wrote: So maybe it is an idea to either activate the same grid as the orthographic viewport (Front etc.) or making a (new 3Dx) grid object, which will be used as active grid for as long as this uservieport is used.
Please correct me if I am wrong: creating a grid object appears to have a number of disadvantages: it seems to be visible in all views, it gets saved in the scene and it needs to be activated/deactivated.s
This might be a problem in some cases, so it should be an optional feature,
because when using own grid objects, it should be so that this will always stay the active grid.

If the standard 3dsmax grid can't be used like the 'original', then the best next thing, I guess, will be a set of extra grid objects, made by the 3dconnexion software and should be hidden/frozen when the userport it complies to isn't active - so it's only active when the connected userport is active and there isn't an other user grid active and in the 3dconnxion menu orthjogonal-home-grids option is active.

Or something like that.