Disability Access Help

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

ScotchBingington

Disability Access Help

Post by ScotchBingington »

Hello!
I was hoping someone could help me figure out how to set all the axis movements to a keyboard input. Basically 'wasd' for the directions. My left hand barely works along with my other on the keyboard, but 3dconnexiion is so easy to use that if I barely touch it, hotdamn, I've pressed a button! So I was thinking with this device I might be able to play games again!

Can anyone help me get started? :D :D :D :D

Thanks!
ScotchBingington

Re: Disability Access Help

Anybody?

I don't want to return it but if I can't customize it I'm pretty much not finding it useful.
jwick

Post by jwick »

You can use the device to send keystrokes. We ship a template called KeyboardWASDTemplate.xml that shows what needs to be done. There is no GUI support for this but I'd be happy to help you configure things.
ScotchBingington

Hi jwick! Your help would be incredible.

All I would like to do is get the device to simulate keystrokes but not take over my mouse because I use them simultaneously. I found the WASD template and tried to have it run during explorer.exe but I had no luck. Do I have to change anything besides <ExecutableName>explorer.exe</ExecutableName> to get this template working?

Thanks!
ScotchBingington

I got it working in a text document! That took waaayyyy more work than it needed to. I've worked on software interfaces and why this isn't a default attribute under options is a bit strange...whatever.

Now I have a separate question, in terms of the sensitivity how do you change the sensitivities so it barely has to be touched to register the keystrokes? When using the Demo or Viewer program it just barely has to be nudged to start moving the viewport/camera, how can i do that in the script? My hands are incredibly week but I could get it to move, it just needs to be sensitive enough to register a breath basically.

I'm cross-posting this because I really want to get started using this and another person was trying to help too!

Thank you so much!
ScotchBingington

It's <Deadband> and since it's sensitive I can totally play games again! Hurray!

Looks like I'll probably make a profile for whatever game I'm playing unless... is there a way to make a universal script that runs these custom controls consistently regardless of software? It would be better than creating a profile for every little application or game I run into.

Also what are the <Key> numbers for control, shift and alt. Is there a dictionary anywhere?

Thanks again!
jwick

Post by jwick »

There is a cfg named Desktop.xml that you can switch to permanently. If you make your changes in there it will Grab the device so it will not switch away to an application-specific cfg when you change applications.

There are some notes at the top of the file to help you with the details. And I can answer any questions you have here.
ScotchBingington

Jwick,

So a problem that I'm running into is that when I put the output into a text editor and hold down whatever direction I'm macroing to a letter, if I hold it down for a few seconds it will automatically stop all of the sudden and pause. Qfter that pause it will start to throw random inputs of the other directions. So I hold forward down and it's macro'd to 'w', if I hold that down for more than a few seconds it'll pause and start throwing random macros out that are connected to the other directions. I can see the output in the editor.

Is this a known bug does this happen to other people?

Also, I have set the <deadband> really low because my hands don't work for you well. I have to make the sensitivity super high so that it'll take any entry very easily.

Any idea what's happening?
jwick

Post by jwick »

First off, it is nearly impossible for anyone to isolate a single axis. You may want to have the driver run a filter that picks the axis with the largest magnitude. You can set the AxisFilter value either through the GUI or manually:
<Device>
<Name>...
<AxisFilter>Dominant</AxisFilter>
<Axis>

Secondly, what type of device do you have? Some of our devices have an automatic rezero feature that will reset the device after a few seconds if it thinks it is drifting. This might happen if it is powered up while something is pushing on the cap. After it is rezeroed (the current position taken as the rest position), when it returns to its mechanical center, it will think it is drifting the other direction. If you let it sit for a few more seconds the reverse will happen and its mechanical center will become the rest (no output) position.
ScotchBingington

I don't think it's the isolation is the issue.

I have the wireless version, it's just the joystick, no extra buttons or display. That rezeroing effect has to be what's happening. Is there ANY way to avoid this. It works so well without the drift. Can I disable it or avoid it via code? This device is almost perfect. If I buy the expensive version does it not have the feature? I'll buy whatever, I just need it to work because I miss video games...

Thanks for the replies!
jwick

Post by jwick »

PM sent