Does Cocoa SDK example compile for you?

Post questions, comments and feedback to our 3Dconnexion Mac Development Team.

Moderator: Moderators

butler

Does Cocoa SDK example compile for you?

Post by butler »

Just downloaded the SDK tonight. However, only the Carbon examples compile on my MacBook Pro with Xcode and gcc-4.0.

When compiling the Cocoa example 3DxValuesCocoa, the cc1obj pass dies. There's a compiler error in 3DxClientTest.m on the line:

#import <3DConnexionClient>

"No such file or directory"

However the framework is in the build, and the library is installed.

Am I the only one? Can someone hit me with the clue-by-four?

Lee
flomotan

Post by flomotan »

The import line actually should be:

#import <3DConnexionClient/ConnexionClientAPI.h>

Your version of the code might have been modified by someone else. You can try getting a fresh copy from the SDK download area.

If this does not work, then check the path of the 3DconnexionClient.framework in the project's "Frameworks" section
butler

Post by butler »

I got the SDK from the download area, so I don't think that's my problem. Here's a screen shot of the code/error in question:

And here's an interesting dialog I get when compiling:

Again, any hints as to where I'm messing up would be welcome.
flomotan

Post by flomotan »

The crash you're getting is coming from the gcc compiler. Try upgrading to the latest release of Xcode. You can also try disabling distributed builds if that's on.
butler

Post by butler »

Strange. Even upgrading to Xcode 2.4.1 didn't change the core dump on gcc. And I don't have distributed builds. Just so that I'm clear, has someone else built this on a MacTel?
flomotan

Post by flomotan »

We have multiple Mactel machines in development and QA and they all build fine. Most are running 10.4.9 or .10 with Xcode 2.4.1.

I'm not sure what's causing the crash on your machine. Another option is to start a new project and just include the sample files into it to rule out some kind of project issue.
butler

A clue perhaps?

Post by butler »

Thanks for confirming the MacTel.

I tried installing on my other Mac and got a similar error. Looking closesly, I come up with my next question: Do any of them have a boot filesystem that is partitioned/formatted "Case-sensitive" as opposed to the default "Case-insensitive'? I ask because my machines are both set up that way. I know HP's drivers didn't work on a case-sensitive partition. I'm not sure why.
butler

Post by butler »

I found a Mac with a Case-insensitive partition and it builds. On the Mac with the Case-Sensitive partition, the build doesn't seem to find the framework. I added a specific "-framework 3DconnexionClient" and it still insists that there is no ConnexionClientAPI.h available.
butler

Confirmed

Post by butler »

I re-formatted the boot partition case insensitive and re-installed Mac OS X. The Cocoa application now compiles and runs. I don't know if the problem was in the Xcode project file or the driver library, but something is definitely depending upon a case-insensitive filesystem.
flomotan

Post by flomotan »

Thanks butler for digging deeper into this. We do have a machine that is case sensitive and it builds fine there. I'll reconfirm this and do some more investigation as well.
ettore

Post by ettore »

Moved this topic from the generic Mac OS X forum.
ettore pasquini
software engineer
3Dconnexion, inc.