General 3DMouse Programming

Post questions, comments and feedback to our 3Dconnexion Windows Development Team.

Moderator: Moderators

marcins

General 3DMouse Programming

Post by marcins »

Hi all!
I'm new to 3DMouses, so forgive me my stuipid questions, please. I'd like my appllication to work with 3D mouses. The question is: is the 3DConnection SDK kind of general API for 3D mouses, or does it work only with 3DConnection devices? If the second question's answer is ,,yes'': is there any way to create an application which would work with most of 3D mouses? Is there any universal API for such purposes or should I have to gather APIs from 3d mouses' producers and implement each of them separately? And next: if it is so, how many APIs should I gather then (and learn and put into my application) to cover say 90% of 3DMouses market?
Best regards,
Marcin
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Dear marcins,

The API is for 3dconnexion devices. I don't have any specific overall marketing data, but it would be my best guess that if you wrote your application to take advantage of our devices, you would well cover over ninety percent of the market for devices that will give you input for translations in two directions along 3 axis and rotations in two directions around 3 axis. I do not know of any universal API, as such. De facto I would say our API would be all that you need.

Sincerely,
Bryan
marcins

Post by marcins »

That's great. Thanks a lot, Bryan.