Problem with Google Earth on OSX

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

DaveMoi

Problem with Google Earth on OSX

Post by DaveMoi »

I just bought my SpaceNavigator and am testing it with Google Earth. On my PC (Vista) it seems to work great, however on my OSX machine, I'm experiencing some problems.

I downloaded the latest install from the 3DConnexion website and installed it on my Macbook pro (intel). I added Google Earth to the application list in the System Preference pannel and let everything set to the default.

It seems that only some of the axisses work (zoom in and out + spin) and that they're very difficult to keep under control (when you let go of the controler, the zooming and spinning does not stop). Again, I'm not experiencing these problems on my Windows machine.

Do I need any sort of plugin for google earth? If so, where can I find it? By the way, I did download the latest version of Google earth.

Any help is appreciated :-)

Thanks

David
flomotan

Post by flomotan »

The driver comes with a default configuration for Google Earth so there's no need to add it using the System Preferences panel. In fact, when you add it, it will ask you if you want to overwrite the factory defaults.

Please click on the "Use Defaults" button on the "Device" and "Advanced" tabs of the 3Dconnexion preference pane to reset these back to defaults.

Go to Google Earth's Preferences->Navigation->Navigation Mode and check "Pan and Zoom". If it's in Flight Control, that will cause the continuous zooming or spinning.

No plugin is needed for Google Earth.
DaveMoi

Post by DaveMoi »

Thanks for your help, problem solved, it's working great now :D

- David
pebel

doesn't work for me

Post by pebel »

i don't understand why my SN doesn't work on GE for Mac.

I got the GE 4.2 (beta), my SN driver is updated (3DxMacWarePE 1.3.0), i have a 1 Ghz PowerPC G4 processor and a 512 memory, but it doesn't work anyway...
flomotan

Post by flomotan »

GE 4.2 has been tested with 3DxMacWare 1.3.0 and globe navigation works fine. You can try running some of the demo apps to see if your SpaceNavigator is installed correctly. System Preferences->3Dconnexion->Demos...

The blue light at the base of the SpaceNavigator cap should also light up when it's plugged-in. If it does not, try uninstalling the driver, Applications->Utilities->Uninstall 3Dconnexion driver.app, and then reinstall it again
pebel

Post by pebel »

Thanks, it really helped. i tried with the demo and it worked perfectly. I was only worried about the not working circumstances of the product, but at last i could test it. Very helpful that demo thing. I'll be waiting for the cinema4d & vector works compatibility. Thanks again.