NX5 - spacepilot

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

magnet

NX5 - spacepilot

Post by magnet »

I have some problem getting the buttons on my Spacepilot to work properly with NX5. The "Button Mapping" editor and "device setting"
I am just able to rotate no buttons seems active.

The 3dx tool will not start from windows Quik Launch bar, when NX5 is active

The device work properly for Solidworks and NX4 on the same computer.

Env.variables are correctly set.

And I get the following using menu report tool in NX5

**************** Missing Actions ****************
The following menu items referenced one or more undefined actions:

Item _3DX_BUTTONEDITOR Button Mapping Editor...
Actions:
<actions>

Item _3DX_DEVICESETTINGS Device Settings...
Actions:
<actions>

Item _3DX_HELP Help...
Actions:
<actions>

Item _3DX_ABOUT About...
Actions:
<actions>

Computer is an XP x64

3dx version 3.4.2
agoenczi
User
User

NX5 - spacepilot

Post by agoenczi »

Hi magnet

The problem is that you have two versions installed but only one variable. One variable could be valid only for a single version. Obviously the variable shows the path for NX4. You can change the variable and you will be able to use your device in NX5 but not in NX4 any more. Or you can let it so and you will able to use your device in NX4 but not in NX5.

Unfortunately at the time is no work-around available.
agoenczi
magnet

Post by magnet »

Hi

Is it only the The system Variable "UGII_3DCONNEXION_LIBRARY" that need to be set to %UGII_BASE_DIR%\ugalliance\vendor\startup\3DxNX.dll ?

UGII_BASE_DIR = C:\Program Files\UGS\NX 5.0

this is my set up and I have still problem with the device.

The "Button Mapping" editor and "device setting" icons in NX5 is greyed out and I am not able to start "open window" from the task bar area on the 3dx icon. I have the custom menu in the lcd and these buttons seem to work, but not the "fit", the four view buttons, the config and panel.

I also have the same problem on a separate installation but with a "space explorer" device.
agoenczi
User
User

NX5

Post by agoenczi »

Hi magnet

Please check the content of the folder:
C:\Program Files\UGS\NX 5.0\UGALLIANCE\vendor\startup
This folder should contain the following files:
  • 3DxNX.dll
    3DxNX.men
    3DxNX.tbr
    3DxNXPopup.men
    vendor_startup_readme.txt
and a folder called 3dxhelp which will contain sub-folders with language-specific help files.

If they are not available here, please copy them from the folder:
C:\Program Files\UGS\NX 4.0\UGALLIANCE\vendor\startup
Finally try to start NX 5.0 again and post the result.
agoenczi
magnet

Post by magnet »

Hi

I have the files in the folder as you describe above. The problems are still there.

I can be in NX5 but the 6 buttons are shown correctly in lcd but pressing them don't give any response. same with the 4 view buttons and fit button. The "Open window" command in task bar is not responsive.

At the same time I can switch to Solidworks and everything works fine, and for other aplication like Adobe reader et.

I have the exact same problem with NX5 on a second computer but with an explorer.

Any sugestions?
magnet

Post by magnet »

Hi

I uninstalled 3dx and removed any trace I could find in registry and files in MY Docs..etc. I did a new installation with the latest release and it seem to work for NX5.
It did not reconize the difference between application like modeling and drafting etc.. but buttons seem to work and I was able to change in the lcd menu.

This was until I had to do a job in NX4 on the same computer. Then menu option in lcd disapeard. It only say "UGS NX Modelling" and button 1 is set to Translation, which do work. But the other view command buttons does not work and I am not able to get in to Panel to do customizations. The same is for both NX4 and NX5...fustrating

Is it a x64 problem?

best regrads
jwick

Post by jwick »

Hi magnet,

Just a thought (others may disagree), if you need to switch constantly between NX4 and NX5, you might want to give up on using our 3DxNX plugin. You can just use the 3DxWare driver and attach keyboard macros to the buttons. There are some 72 very good keyboard macros already defined in the UG config files.

To do this, edit your UGNX1.scg and UGNX2.scg files with notepad. By default, they are in C:\Program Files\3Dconnexion\3Dconnexion 3DxSoftware\3DxWare\en_us\profiles\default

Change the following line:

APP_CONTROLS_BUTTONS = TRUE

to

APP_CONTROLS_BUTTONS = FALSE

Save the files.

Then uninstall 3DxNX by running a custom installation on 3DxSoftware (in the Add/Remove Panel) and unchecking the 3DxNX plugin.

Finally, start the driver, then start NX, then pick the default UGS NX Configuration 1 (or 2) in the 3DxWare GUI.

You will then be limited to doing all SpacePilot configuration with the 3DxWare GUI, but your changes will stay put for any version of NX. You will not have any customization inside NX (that was done by the plugin).

Jim
3Dx Software Development
magnet

Post by magnet »

Hi jwick

This did work and it seem that I can switch between NX5 and NX4 with a customized menu. :-)

The only thing now is that I can not have different menus for applications Modelling, drafting etc.

But now the buttons work properly, thanks!
jwick

Post by jwick »

Hi magnet,

You can still have different menus for the different modes, but you have to switch to them manually using the config button on the SpacePilot. The plugin is not running, so it can't automatically switch to them for you.

If you save your configurations manually you can put the mode name in the title bar. E.g., UGNX4 - Modeling, UGNX5 - Modeling, UGNX4-Drafting, UGNX - General, etc.

Jim
3Dx Software Development