Cannot use Space Navigator in Rhino 5

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

morncello

Cannot use Space Navigator in Rhino 5

Post by morncello »

I just bought a Space Nevigator, but found it cannot work in Rhinoceros 5 in my laptop. I have installed the 3D mouse Software and there is a "3D Mouse Home" on my screen. Do I need to have further installations to activate the mouse? Or should I click open anything from Rhino? I am a bit worried...

Thanks a lot!
Fred

Re: Cannot use Space Navigator in Rhino 5

Post by Fred »

In Rhino V5 the Rhino profile has a button mapped to the 3d navigation options. The left SpaceNavigator button is mapped to Rhino's pop-up menu with options to Lock Horizon and choose Camera or Helicopter Mode

Also in Rhino Options under "Tools -> Options -> Rhino Options -> View you can choose Rotate around world axes or Rotate relative to view.

We have worked closely with McNeel's Rhino5 developers to integrate navigation with 3Dconnexion devices inside their application. If you are seeing a specific problem with navigation in Rhino5 please let us know the details so we can try to replicate the problem.
Barbara

Post by Barbara »

Hi morncello -

If you are not seeing the Space Navigator working in applications like Rhino that support 3d devices, first check that it is working outside of your applications using one of the demos.

Try the Jet Demo [Start, All Programs, 3Dconnexion, Demo- Jet Demo]. If thats working OK it indicates the Space Navigator is recognized and the driver is running.If the demo window does not stay open it would mean the PC has not recognized the device or the driver is not running. If the driver is running there will be a 3Dconnexion icon in the SystemTray. If not, use the 'Start driver' shortcut. [Start, All Programs, 3Dconnexion, Driver, Start Driver].

You may need to connect the laptop to AC power initially if there is not enough power to start it. Make sure the Space Navigator is connected directly to the laptop rather than to a hub, extension or adapter and let us know if you're still seeing a problem.
-------------
Barbara
juancalcala

Post by juancalcala »

Hi Morncello,

Barbara's comments are right on. The only thing I would add is that if your mouse is still not working after what Barbara suggested try restarting Rhino. I had the same problem as you, followed Barbara's instructions, got the buttons to work but not the mouse itself. Then I restarted Rhino and the mouse was working perfectly again. Hope my simple two cents works for you. (or anyone having this problem.)
praymo5

Post by praymo5 »

I'm also having issues with my software. Although, I can use my navigator with Rhino V5 the options to change to the camera mode to helicopter (mentioned in the second comment) aren't in the properties . I do, however, have these options in Sketchup 8. If anyone knows how to fix this it would be greatly appreciated as I find the normal rotation method incredibly awkward for building navigation.

Thanks,
Patrick Raymond
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Note that these options are within Rhino - not within the driver. Can you find them?
praymo5

Post by praymo5 »

I'm aware that these options are within Rhino. The one I'm specifically worried about is helicopter mode. When do what the second commenter suggested and left click with my space navigator in Rhino it does bring up a menu, however, the only camera options are rotation, dominant, pan/zoom, and properties. The properties takes me to the 3D connexion properties which also does not include the helicopter feature. So basically there's no way to switch your camera mode to helicopter.

I've downloaded the latest version of the 3D Connexion software is there maybe and update that removed these options? If so I hope they get put back soon.
elmar88

Post by elmar88 »

I have always been a huge fan of space navigator, however recently I'm having the same problem as praymo5. It's a recent problem that I experienced since I received a new install of rhino and 3d connexion mouse... I tried reinstalling the drivers numerous times and nothing seems to work to get the menu back to lock the horizon.

Anyone has a solution to what could be the problem?

Many thanks,

Elmar
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hello elmar88,

this function is available in the popup menu that you get is you press the left button of the SpaceNavigator. Unfortunately we currently have an issue here. The buttons are not correctly forwarded to Rhino. For the SpaceNavigator you have to install 3DxWare 10.4.3 from our archive. We are tracking this problem with our internal bug number #7325.
icflorescu

Post by icflorescu »

Hello @UtaSH,

Has #7325 been fixed in 10.4.10?

Thanks in advance for letting us know,
icflorescu
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Still open. Sorry.
elmar88

Post by elmar88 »

I found a solution within Rhino:

1. type SpaceMouse command in rhino commandbar
2. click on popup_menu
3. There! the old menu with lock horizon!!

Enjoy :mrgreen:
Zephyrel

Post by Zephyrel »

That works !!!!

Thanks a lot guy !!!

:D