does 3DConnexion use Joystick Windows API ?

Post questions, comments and feedback to our 3Dconnexion Windows Development Team.

Moderator: Moderators

fiero

does 3DConnexion use Joystick Windows API ?

Post by fiero »

Hi 3Dconnexion team,

I received my SpaceNavigator and I would like to add support for my QuickTimeVR viewer, DevalVR www.devalvr.com

Windows API support Joysticks up to 6 axes of action through some functions like joyGetPosEx http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms709354.aspx

Does it exist any driver to use Windows API to read SpaceNavigator state?

Thank you!
jwick

Post by jwick »

Hi fiero,

You can use the Windows Direct Input API or the RawInput API. They both work fine (actually RawInput works best). We have sample code referenced in the developers forum.

Jim
3Dx Software Development
cbanker

Post by cbanker »

fiero,

joyGetPosEx is part of the old joystick API and is not part of the new DirectInput standards, however it still works fine provided you have standard joystick input.

Here is something I found that makes it really quick and easy to get joystick input going with the JoyGetPosEx commands:
  • Install 'RBC9 - SpaceNavigator' drivers: viewtopic.php?t=336&highlight=rbc9+driver . These drivers allow the SpaceNavigator (or other 3DConnexion device) to act as a keyboard, mouse or joystick. Set it up according to the instructions

Set up a profile that maps to the 6 joystick axes and map the buttons as you want.

The spacenavigator / driver will then be providing standard extended joystick output that can be used with those joystick commands in your program.