SpacePilot not working with Maya 64 driver in Linux

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on UNIX and Linux.

Moderator: Moderators

archieb7

SpacePilot not working with Maya 64 driver in Linux

Post by archieb7 »

Hello:

I just received my new space pilot today and am trying to get it to work with Maya x64. I'm running under Ubuntu gusty and I know that this O.S. isn't officially supported but I don't think that my problem is related to the O.S.

The driver loads correctly and the cube demo works. I extracted the .rpm file into the correct directories. Is there something else I'm not thinking of? Shouldn't the plugin load as soon as Maya starts? Thank you for your help.

Andy
archieb7

Post by archieb7 »

Nevermind, I'm an idiot; I forgot to enable in plugin manager.
archieb7

Post by archieb7 »

This is very strange. It seems that the plugin never initializes correctly until I start Maya about 5 times. Is there a way to make it load first? Thanks.
crobl

Post by crobl »

Hi Andy,

which Maya and plugin version do you have?
What do you mean with "the plugin never initializes correctly"?
Is the device not working? Is the icon not visible in the shelf?

The only idea that comes to my mind at the moment:
In the "Plug-in Manager" window check "Loaded" and "Auto load". This should work and Maya should remember this state correctly.

But I think you already did this ...

Regards,

Christian
3Dconnexion
archieb7

Post by archieb7 »

Hi Christian, thanks for getting back to me.

I'm using the newest plugin availale from yourr site: Maya 8.5 plugin (x86_64)

After a fresh system boot and I load maya for the first time, the 3dConnexion logo is visible in the shelf and the button editor is available to use. However, there is no interaction with the device at all. No motion control is available. The pilot does load my default profile though for maya.

If I restart maya about 3-4 times after this, then 3d motion is available.

Yeah I checked both boxes in the plugin manager.

Thanks again.

Andy
crobl

Post by crobl »

Hi Andy,

that is quite strange...

Well, the driver recognizes the maya window and therefore loads the correct configuration - at least one part that works. I assume it is something with the plugin or lets say the communication that (should but doesn't) happen between driver and plugin.

Do you have a dual monitor setup?
If so, do you have one display (e.g. :0.0) spanning over both monitors or two separate displays, one for each monitor (e.g. :0.0 and :0.1)?

Regards,

Christian
3Dconnexion
archieb7

Post by archieb7 »

Hi Christian:

I'm thinking that my problem might be related to a bad installation of Ubuntu. I just installed Gentoo and Maya is much more responsive, so maybe my problem was a driver issue? Anyways, I havn't got around to installing the new plug-ins yet but I'll let you know if I have any more problems. Thank you.

Andy
archieb7

Post by archieb7 »

Ok I fixed my user problem under gentoo using that c progamr found in this forum. Now my spacepilot is working flawlessly in Maya!