Solidworks "Rotate About Scene Floor" behaviour

If you have questions or comments concerning any non-support related 3Dconnexion topic, please use this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

StephenM

Solidworks "Rotate About Scene Floor" behaviour

Post by StephenM »

When using this option (View -> Modify -> Rotate About Scene Floor ) and doing pan/zoom/roll with the old-school mouse wheel, the vertical axis remains vertical.
(For whatever reason, Solidworks calls this the Y axis, I think it should be Z, but that's not important.)
It's a much more natural and intuitive way to navigate the model.

This option would be great when using the 3D mouse. Please add it.
erik-dr

Re: Solidworks "Rotate About Scene Floor" behaviour

Post by erik-dr »

Is there already a way to set this?
I agree with Stephen, now you have to control 2 axes on your space navigator to let the model rotate about one axis.
Because the space navigator is referenced to the screen instead of the model floor.
cato23337

Post by cato23337 »

Is there already a way to set this? I was waiting patiently for years now ;)

I can not understand, why there is not more demand for this. Maybe because this feature is somewhat hidden and not propagated much.

I think this is one of the most useful solidworks feature enhancements in many years. I estimate a 10% increase in speed at panning/orbiting the model. Since panning/orbiting is the single most frequent task in 3d engineering, i can not remember a feature upgrade with that much impact in my daily work.

And why would i ever want to see my Models tilted sideways anyway?
I activated this feature since its introduction and have never felt the need to deactivate it - not once!

Maybe if you engineer a space station, where astronauts work in every orientation ;)

In fact, the lack of implementation of this feature is the biggest reason, why i prefer using my (20-button) mouse over my spacemouse pro.

I understand, that it is not as simple as it seems to respect that solidworks setting in the behavior of the spacemouse. But i am sure it is not impossible to achieve. Maybe an additional setting in the 3dconnexion advanced options would do - i would never deactivate it again :)

I hope you guys are already working on it - if not, pleaaaase do.
caltrop18

Post by caltrop18 »

Bumping this. It appears that people have been looking for this capability for years, and I'd still really like it. You only need two rotational controls in this scenario, so it seems like it ought to be possible.
malfbovino

Post by malfbovino »

This is a great problem still unsolved. If i use the spacemouse in Sketchup all is right, and i have the rotation with the vertical axe constantly ... vertical. In solidworks it's useless, also if i have the "rotate about the scene floor" option active, i have the rotation with spacemouse in any direction. If it's a mechanical part... doesn't matter, but if it's a building, an idustrial plant ecc... i can't work with the vertical axe upside down! It's
unacceptable also in showing the project!
malfbovino

Post by malfbovino »

still unsolved in 3dware 10.7 . I'm currently using my 3d mouse only for sketchup and not in Solidworks for this reason. I think it's quite obvious and simple, just add "rotate about scene floor" or "leave y axis vertically" option in 3dmouse other option of solidworks customization.
yaroslafffedin

Post by yaroslafffedin »

I am a new user of spacemouse, and so far I love it. But I am a little shocked that it is not possible to lock rotation around the floor. I would like to bring this request up. This is such an important thing, 6 axis of movement is not always needed for all applications, you know.
yaroslafffedin

Post by yaroslafffedin »

I am a new user of spacemouse and i like it, except this issue. It's pretty shocking and I dont know how to deal with it. Sometimes 6 axis degree is just too much for your needs. I humbly request this feature to be raised in priority
Fernando_Vieira

Post by Fernando_Vieira »

It’s annoying to use solidworks without “rotate about scene floor”, you have to adjust the model every time and loose a lot of time on the process, without mentioning it breaks the flow of the modeling. If solidworks have this option, why you guys don’t integrate that on the 3dconneion device? That’s a very expensive device and it´s unassailable that some simple but very useful feature its not available. Another nice feature to have, would be the option to lock rotation automatically when entering a sketch (without pressing the button).
troyo

Post by troyo »

The spacemouse "rotate about scene floor" works great in Fusion 360...How do you get it to work in Solidworks?
troyo

Post by troyo »

Any updates ?

My co-workers and clients are getting motion sickness when I go from Fusion 360 to Solidworks while using the Spacemouse.

The "Lock Horizon" option in Fusion 360 is EXCELLENT!

Any ideas on how to get something like this to work in Solidworks?
Fusion360_7unpRNrMaU.png
Fusion360_7unpRNrMaU.png (94.11 KiB) Viewed 60858 times