3DxWare64_v10-6-3_r3045 not detecting software properly

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

Kit0

3DxWare64_v10-6-3_r3045 not detecting software properly

Post by Kit0 »

So I has been using 3DxWare64_v10-4-7_r2465 untill today. This version worked fine for me and never had a single issue.
I use my SpacePilot Pro mostly with 3DS Max 2016. I needed to do some tasks on 3DS Max 2017 but the SpacePilot pro does not work there.
I then went to update the drivers to the already mentioned on the title version. The device works fine on both, 2016 and 2017 but my saved profile on Max 2016 does not work properly.
Before, using the older driver, I could choose between a big selection of actions inside of the "3ds Max" category at time of customizing each button action. This menu would show actions rather then shortcuts which was very handy when you don't know or there isn't any shortcut for such action. On the latest version this category it's empty so, even if the profile shows such actions, the device can't perform them.

Here is an example of some buttons customized:

As you can see, I could set actions on buttons 7 to 9 to move around frames selecting it directly within the 3DS Max category. I have also assigned some other settings which can be seen at the right like going to perspective, orthographic, etc...

This is how the menu now appears completely empty (on both, Max 2016 and 2017) instead of showing the usual actions like before so I can set them directly at time of mapping each button:

It's pretty clear that the 3ds Max category it's empty which does not allows me to set the proper mapping neither to load the old profile already set. I am not sure in which version this starts to happen but if updating will make this expensive device completely useless then I don't see the point on using it to be honest. Isn't the first time that with updates, some functionalities are taken away without adding new ones. Customizing the device buttons it's harder and harder with each update. Could this be fixed as soon as possible? I already spent a lot of time installing, uninstalling and trying a lot of things so I can't waste more time. I really need my device to be functional as before please.
Kit0

Re: 3DxWare64_v10-6-3_r3045 not detecting software properly

Post by Kit0 »

Well, images does not show and I can't edit the post because for whatever reason such option isn't there (...).

Here is (should be) the first image on the main post:

image01.jpg
image01.jpg (113.15 KiB) Viewed 5592 times

Here the second one:

image02.jpg
image02.jpg (74.82 KiB) Viewed 5592 times
I may also attach the files just in case.
luping

Post by luping »

Probably you need to revert to 3DxWare v10.6.0. Another forum member who tested the driver with his/her Autodesk Maya found that the latest v10.6.3 doesn't work, rather he/she confirmed that the older v10.6.0 worked for his/her 3Dconnexion device. Sometimes the driver update is just deplorable with new bugs introduced as regression, v10.6.2 was pulled back due to obvious bug report from users, then after a month or so, the v10.6.3 was released, creating some miserable moments for Autodesk Maya/3ds MAX users.

Here's the download link to 3DxWare v10.6.0 x64(for Windows OS):
WeTransfer link(may be valid for some days, download it ASAP if you want to):
https://we.tl/t-0cKgs6Qjgd
Kit0

Post by Kit0 »

Thank you for your reply and thank you for the link as well.
Just in case that some people may come to this, there is this link where you can download that one and also older ones:
https://www.3dconnexion.es/service/legacy-driver.html

I already had in mind going back to an older version but I wasn't sure wether it was a bug or something being missplaced on my end. Funny thing is, you can even see some of the 3D Max default actions already set by default like going back and forth on frames or playing the animation itself. Those actions aren't available to be set manually since the 3d Max category it's empty but those that are already pre made works fine just not my old ones that I set on an older version. Quite a shame. Isn't the first time that I get troubles with 3DConexion products which is deplorable considering the amount of money that those overpriced products costs. I guess it can't be helped when there is a whole monopoly here.
luping

Post by luping »

Kit0 wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:22 am Thank you for your reply and thank you for the link as well.
Just in case that some people may come to this, there is this link where you can download that one and also older ones:
https://www.3dconnexion.es/service/legacy-driver.html

I already had in mind going back to an older version but I wasn't sure wether it was a bug or something being missplaced on my end. Funny thing is, you can even see some of the 3D Max default actions already set by default like going back and forth on frames or playing the animation itself. Those actions aren't available to be set manually since the 3d Max category it's empty but those that are already pre made works fine just not my old ones that I set on an older version. Quite a shame. Isn't the first time that I get troubles with 3DConexion products which is deplorable considering the amount of money that those overpriced products costs. I guess it can't be helped when there is a whole monopoly here.
Well, most of the value comes from the 3DxWare driver as well as the firmware that power the 3Dconnexion devices. The hardware is only a small chunk of the money you invest(I'd rather not use 'spend') on 3Dconnexion product. People behind the driver that constantly developing new lines of code to update over the past 10+ years that make the hardware unique. It's the combination of hardware and software that makes it stand out. It's a business model based on the condition that people are only willing to pay for the hardware. Same things true when you invest on a professional graphics card like nvidia Quadro GPU.
Kit0

Post by Kit0 »

Not sure how long has you been using their products but they used to have a way better development. Their products has been sitting there for years and they only changed them recently. Their software used to be way better allowing you to set profiles even for softwares that weren't meant to work with them, something that they disabled some years ago. So, instead of adding functionality, they make it less functional. Let's not forget that we are talking about a hardware with a software that it's meant to work on a very small and reduced number of softwares. If you can't make it work on the handful of softwares that it's supossed to, that shows that their development it's pretty bad. So comparing them with GPU companies makes not much sense. GPUs gets frequent updates, and yes sometimes they also break, but they need to be compatible with the millions of games out there, not just with 20. 3DConexion products are mostly meant to be used on 3D softwares which pretty much it's reduced to most Autodesk products, Blender, Sketchup and other softwares like Photoshop and few mores. So just to make it buggy and faulty with a single software that already means a huge failure. And, as I stated already, is not the first time that their software gives constant issues that's why I never update. But when a new version of a software comes up, an update it's necessary or the device wont even work at all which is what you just happened. But this is a professional product with an extra price tag so one expect it to work perfectly enough to not make you waste time and money simply because they aren't capable of doing their work right.
luping

Post by luping »

Kit0 wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:18 pm Not sure how long has you been using their products but they used to have a way better development. Their products has been sitting there for years and they only changed them recently. Their software used to be way better allowing you to set profiles even for softwares that weren't meant to work with them, something that they disabled some years ago. So, instead of adding functionality, they make it less functional. Let's not forget that we are talking about a hardware with a software that it's meant to work on a very small and reduced number of softwares. If you can't make it work on the handful of softwares that it's supossed to, that shows that their development it's pretty bad. So comparing them with GPU companies makes not much sense. GPUs gets frequent updates, and yes sometimes they also break, but they need to be compatible with the millions of games out there, not just with 20. 3DConexion products are mostly meant to be used on 3D softwares which pretty much it's reduced to most Autodesk products, Blender, Sketchup and other softwares like Photoshop and few mores. So just to make it buggy and faulty with a single software that already means a huge failure. And, as I stated already, is not the first time that their software gives constant issues that's why I never update. But when a new version of a software comes up, an update it's necessary or the device wont even work at all which is what you just happened. But this is a professional product with an extra price tag so one expect it to work perfectly enough to not make you waste time and money simply because they aren't capable of doing their work right.
Have you noticed that the help documentation in 3DxWare is never updated to reflect the latest product lineup? No SpaceMouse Enterprise, no SpaceMouse Compact, no CadMouse Wireless pictures displayed in the help documentation, SpaceMouse Enterprise is released back to year 2016, it means that 3Dconnexion people didn't update the documentation for the past 3 years. The discontinued SpacePilot Pro, SpaceNavigtor, SpaceNavigator for NoteBoooks are still in the product lineup picture. The 3DxWare 3Dconnexion Home application screenshot in the help documentation is not updated to reflect the latest version of 3DxWare. The discontinued 3Dconnexion Viewer application screenshot is still there in the documentation. The link to SDK is dead or broken.

It indicates a lot of problems. 3Dconnexion is no longer a Logitech subsidiary, it becomes an independent hardware company again with constrained resource.

By the way, driver update support for your SpacePilot Pro will end next year(2020). You have to invest on new 3Dconnexion device if you want to continue to benefit from the 6 DOF spatial navigation for new release of 3D applications like Maya/3ds MAX...
2019-11-01_15h13_06.png
2019-11-01_15h13_06.png (241.26 KiB) Viewed 5539 times
2019-11-01_15h12_59.png
2019-11-01_15h12_59.png (45.45 KiB) Viewed 5539 times
2019-11-01_15h12_49.png
2019-11-01_15h12_49.png (49.67 KiB) Viewed 5539 times
luping

Post by luping »

The price for SpaceMouse Enterprise is increased from initial USD 359 back to year 2016 to USD 399 now on Amazon.com. The price increase deters a lot potential users from buying this device to benefit from the productivity gain it offers. :shock: